Centre for Engineering Research (CER)
The Centre for Engineering Research (CER) delivers excellent research and high-quality innovation where original ideas, fundamental and applied knowledge push and continue to develop the frontiers of engineering science in both outputs and impact.
Research at CER cuts across multiple disciplines drawing together more than 40 academic and research staff and over 70 PhD and EngD students from electrical and electronic, material and manufacturing, civil, aeronautics and mechanical engineering and their associated disciplines. These include power, embedded systems, communications, information engineering, materials, aerospace and civil structures, energy, microfluidics, microengineering and bioengineering.
The centre comprises five research groups mapping into five University-wide research themes and the UKRI and industrial strategy grant challenges.
Dr Pandelis Kourtessis
Pandelis Kourtessis is Reader in Communication Networks and Director of the Centre for Engineering Research. He is also Associate Dean Research for the School of Engineering and Technology.
Dr Kourtessis has a track record in passive optical networks, software defined networks, 5G RANs, and the consolidation of 5G and satellite networks. Pandelis has received funding from FP7, H2020, ESA, IUK and for projects collaborating with UK industry.
Centre DirectorView profile
Leaders of Research groups in CER
- Andreas Chrysanthou - Professor of Materials Engineering, leader of the Material and Structures (MAST ) Research Group
- Yong Kang Chen - Professor of Applied Mechanics, leader of the Energy and Sustainable Design (ENESD) Research Group
- Yichuang Sun - Professor of Wireless Communications, leader of the Communications and Intelligent Systems (CIS ) Research Group
- Ian Johnston - Associate Professor, leader of the Bioengineering Research Group
- Dan McCluskey – Associate Professor and Associate Dean Enterprise, School of Engineering and Technology, leader of the Microfluidics and Microengineering (MEMS) Research Group