Heritage, Cultures and Communities research
Research Theme Champion:
Dr Sylvie Magerstädt (School of Humanities)
This research theme spans a wide range of research that explores our cultural history and heritage and the ways in which contemporary communities create identity and social cohesion. It encompasses a variety of human endeavour, from questions of faith and ethics to the importance of transportation and smart systems for modern societies.
Researchers within the theme of Heritage, Cultures and Communities further investigate how our cities and communities will look and function in the future and how these and other topics are translated and mediated through performance, narratives, images and material cultures.
The breadth of research within this theme highlights the interconnectedness of contemporary cultures and the ways in which our past and present influences our thinking about our future.
This page gives you direct access to some of our key projects and offers links to the Research Centres and Groups, degree courses, PhD opportunities, news and public engagement that come under the Heritage, Cultures and Communities research theme.
Research Centres and Groups
Heritage, Cultures and Communities research at the University of Hertfordshire takes place across a number of Research Centres, Groups and disciplines:
- Centre for Agriculture, Food and Environmental Management (CAFEM)
- Centre for Computer Science and Informatics Research (CCSIR)
- Centre for Educational Leadership
- Centre for Engineering Research (CER)
- Centre for Regional and Local History Research
- Centre for Research in Public Health and Community Care (CRIPACC)
- Centre for Research on Management, Economy and Society (CRoMES)
- Centre for Sustainable Communities
- Contemporary Arts Practice Group
- English literature research
- Heritage Hub
- History Research
- Linguistic research
- Media Research Group (Creative Arts)
- Media Research Group (Humanities)
- Philosophy research
- Theorising Visual Art and Design (TVAD)
Doctorates, degrees and courses
We offer one of the most diverse range of research degree programmes in the UK.
- Master of Arts by Research (MA by research)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Design - Professional Doctorate (DDES)
- English Studies - Masters by Research/PhD
- Fine Arts - Professional Doctorate (DFA)
- Heritage - Professional Doctorate (DHeritage)
- History - Masters by Research/PhD
- Linguistics - Masters by Research/PhD
- Music - Masters by Research/PhD
- Philosophy - Masters by Research/PhD
Visit our Doctoral College to find out more.
Dementia-Friendly Heritage Guide: University research helps inform making heritage dementia friendly
In an industry first, heritage sites across the country joined forces to launch, with the support of Alzheimer's Society Ambassador Sir Tony Robinson, a pioneering guide to making Britain’s stately...
4 December 2017
Hertfordshire Philosophy Professor awarded prestigious grant for research on the ethics of forgiveness....
8 January 2018
Seminar series of talks on History and Archaeology....
10 November 2018 14:30 - 16:30 - 9 March 2019
A public talk on a philosophical subject with Hili Razinsky from the University of Lisbon. There will be refreshments after the talk at 3pm....
12 November 2018 14:00 - 15:30 - 12 November 2018
Latest from the Research Blog
KSI vs Logan Paul YouTube boxing match: stars sparring with traditional broadcasters to make millions13 Sep 2018
Contact us at the Research Office if you have any queries or would like to know more about research at the University of Hertfordshire.