Heritage, Cultures and Communities research
This research theme spans a wide range of research that explores our cultural history and heritage and the ways in which contemporary communities create identity and social cohesion. It encompasses a variety of human endeavour, from questions of faith and ethics to the importance of transportation and smart systems for modern societies.
Researchers within the theme of Heritage, Cultures and Communities further investigate how our cities and communities will look and function in the future and how these and other topics are translated and mediated through performance, narratives, images and material cultures.
The breadth of research within this theme highlights the interconnectedness of contemporary cultures and the ways in which our past and present influences our thinking about our future.
This page gives you direct access to some of our key projects and offers links to the Research Centres and Groups, degree courses and PhD opportunities that come under the Heritage, Cultures and Communities research theme.
Dr Sylvie Magerstädt
I am a principal lecturer in media cultures in the School of Humanities. My primary research is at the intersection between film, philosophy and religion and I am particularly interested in the recreation and representations of myth in film and television. I have written a number of monographs on epic cinema, science fiction and most recently TV antiquity (forthcoming).
As the leader of the emergent Humanities media group and in my role as theme champion, I am keen to support early career researchers as well as more experienced colleagues and create a research environment that encourages fruitful collaboration and exchange across subjects.
Theme ChampionView profile
Research Centres and Groups
Heritage, Cultures and Communities research at the University of Hertfordshire takes place across a number of Research Centres, Groups and disciplines:
- Centre for Agriculture, Food and Environmental Management (CAFEM)
- Centre for Computer Science and Informatics Research (CCSIR)
- Centre for Educational Leadership
- Centre for Engineering Research (CER)
- Centre for Research in Public Health and Community Care (CRIPACC)
- Centre for Sustainable Communities
- Contemporary Arts Practice Group
- English literature research
- Heritage Hub
- History Research
- Linguistic research
- Media Research Group (Creative Arts)
- Media Research Group (Humanities)
- Philosophy research
- Theorising Visual Art and Design (TVAD)
Doctorates, degrees and courses
We offer one of the most diverse range of research degree programmes in the UK.
- Master of Arts by Research (MA by research)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
- Design - Professional Doctorate (DDES)
- English Studies - Masters by Research/PhD
- Fine Arts - Professional Doctorate (DFA)
- Heritage - Professional Doctorate (DHeritage)
- History - Masters by Research/PhD
- Linguistics - Masters by Research/PhD
- Music - Masters by Research/PhD
- Philosophy - Masters by Research/PhD
Visit our Doctoral College to find out more.
Get in touch
For more information about our Heritage, Cultures and Communities theme, please contact Dr Sylvie Magerstädt.