Living off campus

If you decide to privately rent off-campus, it is very important that you understand how to find good quality accommodation.

Renting privately is a very different experience to living on-campus, with many more responsibilities to take into consideration. For example, larger deposits, guarantor requirements, you won't have resident assistants on-hand 24/7 like on-campus and may not have utility bills included in your rent (and if they are included there may be a cap on how much the landlord will pay towards your gas and electricity bills).

The University is still here to support you, alongside Hertfordshire Students' Union and a wide range of external support services. We have also created the PAL accreditation scheme in partnership with Hatfield Welwyn Borough Council which recognises landlords and letting agents who provide safe and well-maintained private accommodation.

Important information