Accommodation support

Life in university accommodation is very different from living at home and you'll have new experiences and possibly some challenges along the way.

Most students manage the change really well but if you have any problems, please don't hesitate to ask for help as there is plenty of support available from the Office of the Dean of Students.

Student Support Officers

You'll find a dedicated team of Student Support Officers on both campuses who are responsible for the welfare, pastoral care and discipline of all students living on campus. They work daily in halls offering support and advice for our residential students. They love meeting their students and will always make time to talk through any concerns that you may have about residential life. These members of staff have extensive training and will be able to provide expert help on a wide range of issues, including mental health concerns.

The Student Support teams are based at the accommodation helpdesk on de Havilland, (based next to the Student Union shop) or in B440 in the Hutton Hub on College Lane.

You can email the team on

To call during office hours, see our housing services page for the right phone number.

Out of hours support

As well as the Student Support Officers,  there's a team of Resident Assistants (also known as RAs) on each campus that live in residences to provide a familiar face and peer support for fellow students as well as playing a key role in the community. The RAs work on a rota system and provide support outside of office hours 365 days of the year.

Our RAs have been trained to a high standard and can provide help and support with most problems that may arise. They are visible and approachable and if you are unsure about anything you can talk to an RA in confidence.

When to contact an RA

If there is an emergency or if something needs to be reported or repaired, you should contact an RA.

For example:

  • if you're locked in/out of your room
  • you have no heating or hot water
  • broken windows which allow water in or cause a security risk
  • serious leaks or floods
  • the only toilet in the house/flat is blocked

As well as being responsible for dealing with emergencies RAs can help with all sorts of problems including:

  • illness/injury
  • accidents
  • issues involving threats or harassment
  • feeling low/troubled or depressed (from worrying about exams to personal relationships or family issues)

Download our out-of-hours service for resident students leaflet for more information.

Accommodation helpdesks

The accommodation helpdesk should be your first port of call if you have any problems or need to alert us about any maintenance issues. There is a helpdesk on each campus close to the residences and you can call, email or visit in person.

College Lane

Location: Oval building

Tel: +44 (0) 1707 284063


de Havilland

Location: Next to the residences on de Havilland

Tel: +44 (0) 1707 808283



The security team operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. In an emergency situation outside of offices hours, you should contact security who will take appropriate action and deal with the situation. Go to the security page to find out who to contact and how to get in touch.

The University has a dedicated Community Liaison & Support Officer who is responsible for the welfare, pastoral care and discipline of students living in private off-campus accommodation, including those who commute into Hatfield.

If you need advice or guidance relating to living in off-campus accommodation e.g. issues with a landlord or letting agent, neighbour or concerns about a housemate, please contact the Community Liaison & Support Officer via or call on +4 (0) 1707 285165.

The Students’ Union Advice and Support Centre are also available to offer advice relating to many issues, including housing. The team are based on the ground floor of Hutton Hub, College Lane Campus. More information can be found on their website.