Welcome to the Marketing resources page.
Here you will find out exactly what our academics are looking for in their students, including skills they look out for, some of the topics they want you to know, recommended reading and useful places to boost your knowledge.
So without further ado let's get started!
Skills we are looking for
- A good understanding of grammar
- Good numeracy skills
- Active readers
- A general grasp of the business world
- Time management
- Ability to self-motivate
- A healthy entrepreneurial interest
Topics to explore before you start
- The Principles of Marketing
- The Business Environment
- An Introduction to Marketing Communications
- An understanding of Data and Digital Marketing.
Your study will be underpinned with Essential Skills in Marketing and you’ll start to plan your career through Preparing for Professional Success.
Recommended reading to prepare for university
- Armstrong, G., Kotler, P., and Opresnik, M.O. (2019) Marketing: an Introduction (14th ed.), Harlow, Pearson. ISBN:1292294868.
- Chaffey, D., and Smith, P.R. (2017) Digital Marketing Excellence: Planning, Optimizing and Integrating Online Marketing (5th ed.), London, Routledge. ISBN:1138191701.
- Smith, P.R., and Zook, Z. (2019) Marketing Communications: Integrating Online and Offline, Customer Engagement and Digital Technologies (7th ed.), London, Kogan Page Limited. ISBN:0749498641.
Programmes to know
We will provide learning and teaching on appropriate software when you arrive.
For now, it will be useful if you are generally familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite including:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft PowerPoint
- Microsoft Excel
Websites our academics recommend
The CIM is the professional body for marketing
This website has the latest on digital marketing practice
Useful Youtube channel with digital marketing education videos from Google
Insights, news, case studies and research from the world of Advertising
Advertising Trade Magazine
Marketing Trade Magazine
Professional bodies to research
For over 100 years, CIM has supported, represented and developed marketers, teams, leaders and the profession.
Courses Herts offer
Interested in studying Marketing here at Herts?
Take a look at our undergraduate courses below:
- BA (Hons) Marketing
- BA (Hons) Advertising and Digital Marketing
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing
- BA (Hons) Event Management and Marketing
Get a feel for studying at Herts
We hope you all found these resources useful but we appreciate that you may have more questions.
If you have any questions regarding our campuses, facilities, accommodation or just general life here at Herts, you can contact current Herts students via Unibuddy.