BA (Hons) Advertising and Digital Marketing
- Learn the latest in advertising and digital marketing tools and techniques in a contemporary curriculum.
- Designed to give you strong employability skills through work-ready skills, live projects, study abroad, placement.
- Ideal for those who want to gain digital and practical marketing skills, as well as for the academically curious.
About the course
This programme brings together the disciplines of advertising and digital communications, recognising the integrated nature of contemporary marketing communications. It is designed to enable students to acquire the knowledge and skills for a career in advertising and digital marketing either client side or in creative agencies. This programme has a balance of the academic underpinning and the creative and digital skills required for employment. Students will be expected to operate at a strategic campaign planning level, whilst also acquiring practical skills such as copywriting, video editing and basic digital design as well as a knowledge of and practical application of marketing technology.
Why choose this course?
- New degree launching in 2020/21 embedding the latest in contemporary advertising and digital marketing techniques
- Strongly focussed on students employability needs, students will acquire transferable skills and attributes sought after by employers
- Gain digital skills in content creation, as well as for general office settings (eg Excel)
- Gain practical industry experience of advertising and digital marketing through live projects, industry speakers, events and employability modules
- Enhance your CV further through an optional year’s study abroad, placement or short internship
- Strong links with the Chartered Institute of Marketing; the Business School is a CIM Strategic Partner and hosts the regional CIM Club
- Learning for professional qualifications embedded into the curriculum, with the chance to gain a professional CIM qualification within the first year
- Dedicated programme tutors to look after the pastoral and academic needs of students
What will I study?
You will gain specialist knowledge of the advertising and digital marketing industry that will prepare you for work either in agencies or industry. This will be underpinned by knowledge and understanding of marketing, business and data. Important aspects of sustainability are also embedded through modules at each level.
This course uses a mix of teaching methods, including software and practical workshops, lectures, tutorials, individual coursework and groupwork. You will learn through experiential learning and through live business projects, field trips, and engagement with marketing technology. Knowledge is enhanced through engagement with the wider HBS research community. Study includes blended learning materials, such as online modules and recorded lectures to enable flexibility for students’ learning needs.
You will be assessed through a wide variety of assessment types designed with employability and academic skills in mind. There will be a wide mix of assessments including the production of digital artefacts, projects, portfolios, pitches and opinion pieces, as well as the more traditional essays, report and exams.
Your first year focuses on the basics including understanding the Principles of Marketing, the Business Environment, an Introduction to Marketing Communications and Understanding Data. Specialist advertising and digital modules include Content Creation and an overview of the Digital Landscape. Study will be underpinned with Essential Skills in Marketing and you will start to plan your career through Preparing for Professional Success.
In the second year you will deepen your specialist knowledge studying the Digital Experience for consumers, as well as the increasingly important Social Media and Social Influence. Advertising modules focus on Campaign, Insights, Analysis and Planning, as well as how to create Advertising Concepts and Campaigns. You’ll continue gaining marketing knowledge through an understanding of Consumer Behaviour. Your employability skills will be further enhanced through proactively Working in Industry and leaning about Managing Marketing Professionals. The study of Marketing Research is especially useful if you wish to undertake a Dissertation in the final year.
In the final year you will personalise your experience by choosing either a 30 credit Dissertation or Industry Project, honing in on what interests you most. Specialist advertising modules include International Advertising and Advertising and Communications Strategy. You will continue to explore data through Digital Analytics and Social Media Monitoring, and how to use data and marketing automation in Managing the Customer Journey. Whether you want to work in an Agency or Client side you’ll find out more about the industry structure through Agency Practice and Management.
Students taking BA Marketing degrees are eligible to study for the Chartered Institute of Marketing qualifications whilst at university. In the first year, you are given the opportunity to become an Affiliate Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing and study for a first CIM award. Opportunities to gain additional CIM qualifications are offered during the second and final years. The course also offers value exemptions from a variety of CIM qualifications through the Graduate Gateway (subject to revalidation). The Chartered Institute of Marketing has commended Hertfordshire Business School on numerous occasions for the success of the students studying CIM qualifications alongside their course.
This programme prepares you for careers in advertising and digital marketing, either in an agency setting, for example as an Account Manager or within a marketing department as an Advertising or Digital Marketing Executive. Students may consider entering into specialism such as social media marketing, influencer marketing, search engine optimisation, pay per click advertising, designing digital experiences or digital marketing analytics.