Apply online through Clearing


Book an Open Day


Book your virtual open day


Get info updates


Alumni Awards 2024

Disabled Students Allowance

Disabled Students Allowance is a form of non-repayable support that’s given to students who have a disability, long standing medical condition or an impairment which affects their ability to study.  For example, this can include:

  • a learning disability i.e. dyslexia
  • a mental health condition i.e. anxiety or depression
  • a physical disability i.e. if you need to use a wheelchair
  • a sensory disability i.e. if you have a hearing or visual impairment
  • a long-term health condition i.e. cancer or chronic heart disease.

DSA is intended to support your learning. Payments are not made directly, instead they are made to the organisation providing the service or product that is needed. Your eligibility and allowances are based on the course you are studying and your specific needs. Awards are not related to household income. If you’re eligible for DSA, you will not have to pay your DSA back and it does not affect your other benefits.

Find out more about Disabled Students Allowance on the Government website

What can I use my DSA for?

DSA is designed to help with any extra costs, for example:

  • non-medical helpers i.e. a note-taker in lectures or a sign language interpreter
  • specialist equipment i.e. software that helps you use a computer, or a small fridge to store medication
  • any extra material costs e.g. needing to print extra copies of documents for proof reading
  • extra travel costs to attend your course or a placement.

DSA’s are not designed to cover any disability related costs that you would have if you were not in education.

How are DSA’s paid?

The payments are usually made directly to the organisation providing the service or product.

How do I know if I’m eligible?

If you’re an undergraduate or postgraduate student with a learning difficulty, long term illness or disability you could be eligible for DSA. Check if you are eligible for DSA on the Government website

How can I apply?

You can apply for DSA at the same time you apply for student finance. Find out how to apply for DSA on the Government website.

Any questions?

Please email Student Wellbeing at call us on tel +44 (0)1707 284453  if you have any questions and need more information. We can also explain alternative help that is available to Herts students who are not eligible for Disabled Students' Allowance but still have extra needs. Find out more about support and wellbeing services at Herts.