Entry requirements for undergraduate degrees

Most of our undergraduate courses have their own entry requirements. These specific entry requirements can be seen on the page for each course or in our online prospectus. However, the University has a standard set of requirements for undergraduate courses which you can see below.

We have a long tradition of welcoming applicants from a wide range of backgrounds taking a variety of qualifications and we're used to admitting students with a combination of qualifications including A levels, BTECs, Access to HE Diplomas and vocational qualifications.

The entry requirements for undergraduate degrees are given generally in UCAS Tariff points and you'll need at least 2 A levels (or equivalent qualification) to begin an Honours undergraduate degree programme or at least one for a Foundation degree.

The government have announced that calculated A Level grades should be ready at the end of July based on previous attainment, non-exam assessment (course work) and the grade your teachers believe you would have been awarded should exams have gone ahead.

We wanted to reassure you we’ll be taking a pragmatic and supportive approach, taking into account (where relevant) your personal statement, interview, portfolio and other information that demonstrates your potential to succeed at Herts. Some universities have taken the approach of making unconditional offers, we would echo UCAS’ advice to consider whether it’s the right institution and course for you before making any decision.

UCAS Tariff points

UCAS have recently changed the way that Tariff points are calculated. All qualifications that were previously on the UCAS Tariff have continued to attract points under the new system however there have been changes to the points and how they are calculated.

Key facts about the new tariffs:

  • Under the new UCAS Tariff, numbers are much lower, for example an A level grade A* gets 56 points, in comparison with 140 under the current Tariff. Use the UCAS Tariff Calculator to calculate your new points.
  • AS level is now 40% of an A level - this is more accurate according to qualification regulators.
  • You'll still need to achieve the same grades at A level, Scottish Advanced Higher, Scottish Higher or BTEC, or in any other qualification you're taking to meet higher education course entry requirements.
  • The new UCAS Tariff points should not have any impact on your decisions about qualification choices at school or college, or your preparation or application to a higher education course.

Visit UCAS for more information about the new UCAS Tariffs, including fact sheets for parents and students.

Transferring to Herts

Many undergraduate courses at the University of Hertfordshire allow advanced entry for students wishing to transfer their studies. Your previous study will be assessed using the Accreditation of Prior Learning process.

It is important that the previous study was relevant and current in order for your entry to be considered directly into the second or third year of the course.  You will be asked to provide transcripts from your previous studies as part of the Admissions process.

If you'd like to make an application for an undergraduate programme, please do so through UCAS and specify which year of entry you would like to be considered for.

Returning to study

If you have prior higher education or equivalent work experience, we may be able to take this into account and allow you to enter your chosen course at an advanced level. For example, if you have an HND in an appropriate subject and want to achieve an Honours degree, you may be considered for exemption from the first two years of a full-time degree (Level 4 and Level 5 studies).

You may also be awarded credit for relevant prior learning such as previous courses studied, or your industrial, professional or other experience. For example, if you have an HND you might be able to study part-time to 'top-up' to an Honours degree in two years.