- Access to unparalleled teaching facilities in a new science facility
- Internationally renowned researchers to teach students and support individual research projects in the field of molecular biotechnology
- Blended learning approach to teaching including problem-based learning to develop high-level critical analysis skills, substantial exposure to practical techniques, and guaranteed laboratory-based research projects.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
This course gives in-depth knowledge of the areas of molecular biology and biotechnology for graduates in the biological and biosciences. This is an exciting and fast-moving area of bioscience that is having an enormous impact in many areas of biotechnology. Analysis and manipulation of genes and genomes has provided the basis for the development of important new diagnostic methods, biological drugs and improved enzymes and proteins. In addition, new vaccines, synthetic antibodies and improved crops have benefitted from advances in molecular biotechnology.
Alternatively, consider taking the MSc Molecular Biotechnology with advanced research:
Why choose this course?
- This course is a natural progression for anyone completing an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Biochemistry, Pharmacology or Pharmaceutical Sciences, who is interested in a career in the Pharmaceutical industry.
- This course will provide students with the skills they need to have for future opportunities in the fast growing biotechnology industry.
- Our state of the art Science Building provides excellent facilities for laboratory based studies, including cell culture and plate reader based assays, isolated tissue studies, immunohistochemistry.
- Offered as a part-time option to suit students who may already be in employment and wish to broaden their knowledge of the industry with support from their employer.
What will I study?
During the course you will gain a thorough understanding of key fields of molecular biology, genetics, cell biology and protein science.In addition, the latest techniques of recombinant DNA technology, protein analysis, genomics and bioinformatics will also be introduced. You will also have the opportunity to study the latest plant and animal genome sequencing projects, gene editing technology, next generation DNA sequencing, high throughput analysis and bioinformatic data analysis. Applied molecular technologies for improvements in plant and animal systems will also be covered and will involve study of exciting new areas such as metabolic engineering and surface display systems.
The course has a strong practical basis giving you training in research methods and hands-on experience of laboratory and bioinformatics techniques such as gene knockout methods and next generation sequencing analysis. There are excellent facilities for biomolecular analysis, including cell culture, DNA and protein manipulation and you will have access to the latest equipment for PCR, qPCR and 2D protein gel analysis systems for use in laboratory practicals and during projects.
Subject to validation, this course will be accrediated by the Royal Society for Biology Accreditation.
What job can I get?
Graduates of the MSc Molecular Biotechnology may go on to work in a broad range of fields including: biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, academic research, medical writing/science journalism, education, or patent law. Alternatively, you may also use the MSc Molecular Biotechnology degree to underpin an application to study for a research degree such as MRes, MSc by Research, or a PhD in a related field.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.