MSc Molecular Biotechnology with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Teaching Excellence: You will be taught by expert lecturers and researchers who have extensive experience in academic, pharmaceutical, industrial, and biotechnology sectors (see key staff).
- Industry Connections: We have strong relationships with GSK and Astra Zenca for you to benefit from work placements and innovative guest lectures delivered by leading researchers in the biotechnology industry.
- Work-Related Learning: You will have the opportunity to secure your own biotech work placement when you opt for the Sandwich pathway.
About the course
Intended for graduates of the biological and biosciences, this course will provide you with specialist knowledge of molecular biology and biotechnology. This exciting and fast-moving area of bioscience is having an enormous impact on biotechnology. Analysis and manipulation of genes and genomes have provided the foundation for the development of new diagnostic methods, biological drugs and improved enzymes and proteins. New vaccines, synthetic antibodies and improved crops have also benefitted from advances in molecular biotechnology.
Alternatively, consider taking our other MSc Molecular Biotechnology routes:
Why choose this course?
- You’ll be taught by expert university lecturers and researchers, many having extensive research experience in academic, pharmaceutical, industrial and biotechnology sectors
- Benefit from innovative guest lectures, delivered by leading researchers in the biotechnology industry
- Immerse yourself in our modern Science Building. We offer exceptional facilities for you to practice the latest techniques in QPCR and genome editing and molecular cloning. Use our laboratories for DNA analysis, genomics, proteomics and bioinformatics.
- Upon graduation, you will be equipped to gain employment in a wide range of roles in the biotechnology industry or further postgraduate study in the bioscience field
- We adopt a blended learning approach to teaching, focussing on problem-based scenarios so you can develop strong critical analysis skills. You’ll have substantial exposure to practical techniques and guaranteed laboratory-based research projects
- If you are successful, you will have the opportunity to conduct a 12-month placement. If you are not succesful, you will be able to transfer to the MSc Molecular Biotechnology with Advanced Research route.
- The University of Hertfordshire was ranked 1st in the East of England for Medical Technology and Bioengineering (2023 Complete University Guide).
What will I study?
During the course you'll gain a thorough understanding of key fields of molecular biology, genetics, cell biology and protein science.In addition, the latest techniques of recombinant DNA technology, protein analysis, genomics and bioinformatics will also be introduced. You will also have the opportunity to study the latest plant and animal genome sequencing projects, gene editing technology, next generation DNA sequencing, high throughput analysis and bioinformatic data analysis. Applied molecular technologies for improvements in plant and animal systems will also be covered and will involve study of exciting new areas such as metabolic engineering and surface display systems.
The course has a strong practical basis giving you training in research methods and hands-on experience of laboratory and bioinformatics techniques such as gene knockout methods and next generation sequencing analysis. There are excellent facilities for biomolecular analysis, including cell culture, DNA and protein manipulation and you will have access to the latest equipment for PCR, qPCR and 2D protein gel analysis systems for use in laboratory practicals and during projects.
|Genetics and Protein Biology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Applied Biotechnology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Genome Science||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research Project with Research Methods||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc Biosciences Placement Year||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Work Placement Assessment||0 Credits||Compulsory|
Dr Ela Bryson
Dr Henrik Stotz
Find out more about Dr Henrik Stotz
Dr Ralph Rapley
Dr Shan Goh
Find out more about Dr Shan Goh
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc (SW) Molecular Biotechnology with Sandwich Placement||Download|
|MSc Molecular Biotechnology||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.