Why choose Herts?
- Excellent reputation: Ranked 1st as best university provider for Teacher Training in the UK (NSS).
- Fantastic local connections: Benefit from our strong partnerships with over 300 schools and training providers across Hertfordshire, London, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, and Cambridgeshire.
- Employment prospects: Graduates have secured promotions with their current employer and some venture into research, advisory, or policy-making roles.
About the course
This award is designed to enable students to focus on their own individual interests and professional priorities in any of the modules studied. This award enables experienced professionals to demonstrate the breadth of their experience and professional interests in creative and innovative ways. Less experienced professionals are supported in developing their professional interests in creative and innovative ways.
The MA Education is offered as part of a suite of awards available through the MA Education Framework.
This programme is offered on a 1 year full-time basis, and part-time study for 2 or 3 years.
Why choose this course?
The programme supports you in developing your knowledge and understanding of issues and practice through enquiry and research. The programme provides a range of module choices, but you are encouraged to bring your own ideas and focus on your own particular professional interests.
Through this programme you will:
- Develop and deepen your knowledge and understanding of issues relating to education practice through critical reflection, analysis and enquiry
- Develop your ability to critically analyse educational theory and how it links to practice
- Become a member of a supportive learning community and learn from professionals from a range of educational settings
- Become a successful practitioner researcher
What will I study?
Taught sessions are built around discussion, discovery, shared learning and peer review with tutor support and expertise immediately at hand. All modules are constructed so that the focus of the work should be upon your individual interests and professional requirements.
- For each 30 credit module, attendance at between 7/8 twilight sessions per module
- A significant amount of private study and reading
- Independent research
- An assignment of 4,500 words or equivalent for 30 credit modules
- A final 60 credit module over a year with a 12,000 word assignment
- Full access to the University’s Learning Resource Centre (LRC) and virtual learning environment
|Education Dissertation||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Exploring Approaches to Research||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Developing Subject and Professional Knowledge||30 Credits||Optional|
|Creativity: You and Your Practice||30 Credits||Optional|
|Early Childhood: Foundations for Life||30 Credits||Optional|
|Equality, Diversity and Inclusion||30 Credits||Optional|
|Leadership and Management||30 Credits||Optional|
|Education, Social Justice and Social Change||30 Credits||Optional|
|Inclusive Perspectives on Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities||30 Credits||Optional|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.