About the course
This award is designed to enable students to focus on their own individual interests and professional priorities in any of the modules studied. This award enables experienced professionals to demonstrate the breadth of their experience and professional interests in creative and innovative ways. Less experienced professionals are supported in developing their professional interests in creative and innovative ways.
The MA Education is offered as part of a suite of awards available through the MA Education Framework.
This programme is offered on a 1 year full-time basis, and part-time study for 2 or 3 years.
Why choose this course?
The programme supports you in developing your knowledge and understanding of issues and practice through enquiry and research. The programme provides a range of module choices, but you are encouraged to bring your own ideas and focus on your own particular professional interests.
Through this programme you will:
- Develop and deepen your knowledge and understanding of issues relating to education practice through critical reflection, analysis and enquiry
- Develop your ability to critically analyse educational theory and how it links to practice
- Become a member of a supportive learning community and learn from professionals from a range of educational settings
- Become a successful practitioner researcher
What will I study?
Taught sessions are built around discussion, discovery, shared learning and peer review with tutor support and expertise immediately at hand. All modules are constructed so that the focus of the work should be upon your individual interests and professional requirements.
- For each 30 credit module, attendance at between 7/8 twilight sessions per module
- A significant amount of private study and reading
- Independent research
- An assignment of 4,500 words or equivalent for 30 credit modules
- A final 60 credit module over a year with a 12,000 word assignment
- Full access to the University’s Learning Resource Centre (LRC) and virtual learning environment
What job can I get?
The MA Education award aspires to prepare graduates for successful careers in the field of education. This programme equips graduates with the skills to critique, influence and improve policy and practice in a range of educational contexts and can therefore transform careers. Graduates from this programme often secure promotions with their current employer or venture into new fields such as research, advisory or policy-making roles. Some students gain positions in new education contexts, such as higher education and progress on to doctoral study.