Facilities at the School of Health and Social Work
The School of Health and Social Work is based in the University's College Lane Campus and is spread between two buildings: the Health Research Building and the Wright Building.
Our students benefit from state-of-the-art facilities, in particular, the Clinical Simulation Centre, which is one of the largest and most advanced in Europe.
The Centre comprises a mock general ward, Intensive Care Unit, GP surgery, hospital and community pharmacy, as well as state-of-the-art audio-visual equipment that enhance lectures and conferences.
Each of the areas we specialise in gives our students the opportunity to benefit from a world-leading teaching environment through the various specialists labs which include:
- The Hertfordshire Intensive Care and Emergency Simulation Centre (HICESC) - a teaching laboratory equipped with Intensive Care Unit for adult care, paediatric and neonatal care.
- Physiotherapy skills laboratories - giving you the opportunity to enhance hands-on, practical skills and develop self-confidence in combination with your theoretical studies.
- Paramedics first-class skills - lab facilities at College Lane and Meridian House based in Hatfield town centre including the recently refurbished Life Support Lab.
- Radiographers' x-ray and ultrasound laboratories - for practical hands-on skills practice.
- Human performance laboratories - where you can test and measure the performance of individuals or teams.
Health research building
The University's Health research building offers a state-of-the-art environment for education and training in this fast-changing sector. It includes a special simulation centre which features:
- ITU/ward simulation area
- Simulated community/hospital pharmacy
- Simulated GP surgery
- Simulated counselling room
- Clinical skills lab
- Observation/seminar rooms
- State-of-the-art audio manikins
- State-of-the-art audio visual equipment
- Conference facilities
As progress from first year through to final year, the skills lab sessions become incrementally more challenging in order to fully prepare students for their time on clinical placement. Students can expect to spend up to 10% of their time in skills lab sessions.
Take a virtual tour
Learning and leisure facilities
A 24-hour Learning Resources Centre and library, can be found in our College Lane Campus.
An unrivalled Sports Village facilities and a large range of student accommodation are also found on the de Havilland Campus.
Read more about the facilities at the University of Hertfordshire.