Why choose Herts?
- Industry Connections: you’ll benefit from our connections with local organisations, including Ocado, Tesco, and Amazon. Many local business organisations are amongst the biggest in the country and contribute to our programmes as guest lecturers and attend careers fairs for our students
- Industry-Focused Content: you can look forward to working on real projects and cases. These will familiarise you with the working environment, boost your confidence within your field, teach you teamwork while improving your leadership qualities and enhancing soft skills such as communication, logical and analytical thinking
- Employment Prospects: our marketing graduates possess the top skills looked for by employers and as a result, many go on to work as brand and marketing specialists in a range of sectors including charities, government and large international/multinational organisations.
You will benefit from our strong links with the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM). The Business School is a CIM Strategic Partner and hosts the regional CIM Club that our students can attend and network. The partnership makes our Herts graduates particularly attractive to employers.
CIM qualifications can be gained alongside student memberships.
About the course
This MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership is designed to develop master’s level knowledge and skills within the branding discipline and to enhance employability within this field.
The programme offers three award routes that you can choose to study:
- One-year full-time MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership
- Two-year full-time MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership with Placement Year
- Two-year MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership (Experiential Learning)
The two-year full-time MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership welcomes you for a September entry only.
The course offers you the opportunity to explore branding in several areas. It deepens your marketing knowledge and understanding by laying a foundation through modules covering competitive advantage, integrated marketing communications, strategic customer engagement, and contemporary marketing. You also cover entrepreneurial marketing as we recognise that marketing in small organisations is different to that in large organisations.
You will have the opportunity to enhance your knowledge in branding by focusing on strategic brand leadership, campaign management and global luxury branding. You will also explore entrepreneurial marketing. There will also be the opportunity to conduct either an independent major research project within your area of interest or an applied marketing project.
You will also build a strong network of marketing contacts. Some will become your close friends, and a few may even become your future colleagues.
Who is the course for?
This MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership has been designed for:
- graduates who have an undergraduate degree in marketing and want to specialize further while focused on brand leadership
- graduates who have an undergraduate degree in another discipline but want to specialise in marketing while focused on brand leadership
- marketing professionals who want to specialise even further within the discipline of brand leadership.
Why choose this course?
Our Postgraduate studies are sector leading amongst over 100 Higher Education Institutions in the UK as evidenced by our extraordinary achievement:
- 2nd for marketing in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023)
- 1st for Skills Development, 2nd for Support, Resources, Community and Assessment (Advance HE, 2023)
This course provides a world-recognised master’s degree, together with relevant practical experience, giving you a unique combination of sought-after skills that are transferrable to a wide range of sectors.
Our close connection with industry allows students to meet and learn from industry experts, with wider networking opportunities available through the larger community of students and faculty.
The one-year full-time programme is a great opportunity for students wanting to pursue traditional postgraduate study in the UK. The two-year full-time programme is a great opportunity for those who want to dive even deeper into the world of marketing by experiencing practice within the field.
All pathways provide the opportunity to:
study a range of branding subjects in a marketing context
engage in a wider university curriculum with extra-curricular activities within our diverse community, enhancing employability
personalise your study through research options that include a dissertation or an applied marketing branding project.
What will I study?
In semester A, you will study four modules (each 15 credits) that are 100% coursework. These modules are:
delivering competitive advantage
integrated marketing communications
strategic customer engagement
When progressing to Semester B, you will specialise in the field of Brand Leadership with two 100% coursework modules. These modules are:
strategic brand leadership and campaign management (30 credits)
global luxury branding (15 Credits).
Additionally, you will be offered a choice of either a dissertation or an applied marketing project that you will have to complete during Semester B and C.
We provide students with authentic ‘real world’ experiences and learning opportunities.
We use a ‘guided learner journey’ where students are expected to prepare before sessions, attend lectures and tutorials and participate/share their knowledge and understanding.
Students will often work in ‘learning sets’ to develop and share basic knowledge and understanding.
Where possible, we give students the opportunity to personalise their learning journey.
|Delivering Competitive Advantage||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Integrated Marketing Communications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Strategic Customer Management||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Contemporary Marketing||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Entrepreneurial Marketing||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Advanced Research for Marketing Practitioners||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Strategic Brand Leadership and Campaign Management||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Global Luxury Branding||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Marketing Dissertation||45 Credits||Optional|
|Applied Marketing Project||45 Credits||Optional|
Senior Lecturer Alex Lee
Find out more about Senior Lecturer Alex Lee
Programme Leader Dr Diane Morrad
Find out more about Programme Leader Dr Diane Morrad
Lecturer Jessica Lau
Find out more about Lecturer Jessica Lau
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership||Download|
|MSc Strategic Marketing with Brand Leadership||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.