MSc Business Psychology
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the Association of Business Psychologists.
- Teaching Excellence: You will be taught by industrial-experienced experts. Our tutors were awarded a Teaching Quality rating of ‘Excellent’ in our subject review. List of Psychology staff.
- Industry Connections: Benefit from our strong connections with the National Health Service and enjoy networking opportunities.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
The Association of Business Psychologists
About the course
The programme is designed for students who wish to acquire the skills and knowledge that will enable them to apply psychological principles within the business world. The course will appeal equally to those with a business or psychology background. Graduates are equipped for a variety of careers including human resource practitioners or careers in consultancy and business psychology.
The course includes the following modules:
- Psychological Assessment at Work
- Learning, Training and Development
- Research and Professional Skills
- Well-being at work
- Human Resource Management for psychologists
- Strategic Management for psychologists
- Marketing for psychologists
- Consulting Skills
And an option from:
- Work Design, Organisational Change and Development
- Leadership, Engagement and Motivation
You will also carry out a project which is a substantial piece of investigative work, normally carried out in an external organisation. Host organisations for MSc projects have included large commercial concerns in both manufacturing and service sectors, a range of consultancies, charities, and in local government and government departments.
Projects are sometimes conducted abroad; past locations include Germany, Greece, Turkey, Malaysia, Kenya, Indonesia, China, India and Taiwan.
Staff who teach on the course include permanent academic staff who have industrial experience and who undertake regular consultancy work, and external psychologists from consultancies, large organisations and other universities. Teaching and learning methods include lectures, workshops, seminars, tutorials and practical sessions. There is an emphasis on putting theory into practice.
Why choose this course?
- Accredited by the Association of Business Psychologists
- This programme will provides you with many of the professional skills and competencies needed to apply psychology in the workplace.
- You'll benefit from helpful and supportive staff; the applied nature of many of the assessment tasks most notably the project and delivery by staff who are involved in cutting edge research and the ‘contemporary practice’ of Industrial and Work Psychology. Find out more about psychology research at the University of Hertfordshire.
- You'll have access to the knowledge and skills base from our Department of Psychology, Sport and Geography also gain insight and expertise from the Hertfordshire Business School.
- You'll be a part of one of largest psychology departments in the country
- Our staff are actively engaged in significant research which is reflected by our excellent, Grade 4 rating in the Higher Education Funding Council's last Research Assessment Exercise. Find out more about of our psychology
- Throughout your studies, you'll have accesss to well-equipped laboratories with excellent computing facilities
- We were awarded a Teaching Quality rating of "excellent" (23 out of 24) in our subject review
- You'll experiene a vibrant research seminar series which sees contributions from leading academics from across the country
What will I study?
Teaching and learning methods include lectures, workshops, seminars and tutorials. There is an emphasis on the development of practical skills.
Staff who teach on the course include permanent academic staff who have industrial experience and who undertake regular consultancy work, and external psychologists both from consultancies and from large organisations.
|Learning, Training and Development||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Leadership, Engagement and Motivation||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Psychological Assessment at Work||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Consulting Skills||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|HRM for Psychologists||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Marketing for Psychologists||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Statistics for Industrial & Work Psychology||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research & Professional Skills||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Performance Management in the Workplace||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Wellbeing and Work||15 Credits||Optional|
|Work Design, Organisational Change and Development||15 Credits||Optional|
Dr Colleen Addicott
Find out more about Dr Colleen Addicott
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Business Psychology||Download|
|MSc Business Psychology||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.