MSc Software Engineering with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a Chartered IT Professional.
Work placement opportunities: You will have a one-year paid placement. Previous students have worked for organisations including Apple, Intel, and Microsoft.
Employment prospects: Graduates work as Business Analysts, Consultants, Software Engineers, and Application Developers for organisations including Capgemini, Optoma Technology, and Ocado.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and the department is currently in touch with the BCS regarding continued accreditation.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught Master's Programme at the Department of Computer Science
This course examines current research and practice in software engineering. You will develop knowledge and skills in the models, methodologies, measures and tools that can be employed in software development considered as an engineering discipline.
Why choose this course?
- This MSc with the one-year industry placement will give you additional industrial experience by applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies in a working environment.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in advanced computer science.
- This MSc develops graduates’ practical skills of producing models of software engineering processes and artefacts using appropriate modelling techniques, and applying measures to software engineering processes and artefacts and use the data produced to evaluate software engineering activities.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Half the research outputs in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire have been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
|Professional Issues||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Investigative Methods for Computer Science||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Measures and Models for Software Engineering||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Programming for Software Engineers||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Software Engineering Practice and Experience||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Software Engineering Masters Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Preparation for Placement||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional Work Placement for MSc Computer Science||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Team Research and Development Project||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Legal and Ethical Practice Exercise||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc (SW) Software Engineering||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular)||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.