MSc Occupational Psychology
Why choose Herts?
Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the Association for Business Psychology and the British Psychological Society providing stage one for chartership as an occupational psychologist.
Teaching Excellence: You will be taught by a team of experts who have industrial experience and were Awarded a Teaching Quality rating of excellent in our subject review See a list of our Psychology staff here.
Employment Prospects: Graduates work as consultants for organisations such as Arup, Easyjet, and SHL.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
British Psychological Society
About the course
This programme combines high level vocational training with academic rigour. It prepares successful graduates for careers in a variety of areas including consultancy, specialist roles within organisations, research and areas of technical expertise. The MSc Occupational Psychology is accredited by the British Psychological Society and forms the first year of the Qualification in Occupational Psychologists.
The overriding aim of this programme is to provide students with specialist knowledge and a comprehensive suite of skills required to practise as occupational psychologists in a wide range of organisational environments.
The course includes the following areas:
- Psychological Assessment at Work
- Learning, Training and Development
- Leadership, Engagement and Motivation
- Research and Professional Skills
- Well-being at work
- Work Design, Organisational Change and Development
And an option from:
- Human Resource Management for psychologists
- Strategic Management for psychologists
- Marketing for psychologists
- Consulting Skills
You will also carry out a project which is a substantial piece of investigative work, normally carried out in an external organisation. Host organisations for MSc projects have included large commercial concerns in both manufacturing and service sectors, a range of consultancies, charities, and in local government and government departments.
Projects are sometimes conducted abroad; past locations include Germany, Greece, Turkey, Malaysia, Kenya, Indonesia, China, India and Taiwan.
Staff who teach on the course include permanent academic staff who have industrial experience and who undertake regular consultancy work, and external psychologists from consultancies, large organisations and other universities. Teaching and learning methods include lectures, workshops, seminars, tutorials and practical sessions. There is an emphasis on putting theory into practice.
Why choose this course?
- This programme provides many of the professional skills and competencies needed to become a Chartered Occupational Psychologist and to apply psychology in the workplace
- Accredited by the British Psychological Society, and counts towards gaining Chartered Occupational Psychologist status
- One of the largest psychology departments in the country
- Our staff are actively engaged in significant research which is reflected by our excellent, Grade 4 rating in the Higher Education Funding Council's last Research Assessment Exercise. See a list of our psychology staff here.
- We were awarded a Teaching Quality rating of excellent (23 out of 24) in our subject review
- A vibrant research seminar series - with contributions by leading academics from across the country
What will I study?
Assessment is by examination, coursework, demonstration of a series of competencies and completion of a project.
|Learning, Training and Development||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Leadership, Engagement and Motivation||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Wellbeing and Work||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Work Design, Organisational Change and Development||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Psychological Assessment at Work||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Statistics for Industrial & Work Psychology||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research & Professional Skills||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Consulting Skills||15 Credits||Optional|
|HRM for Psychologists||15 Credits||Optional|
|Marketing for Psychologists||15 Credits||Optional|
|Performance Management in the Workplace||15 Credits||Optional|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Occupational Psychology||Download|
|MSc Occupational Psychology||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.