Book an open event
Thinking of studying for a postgraduate degree at the University of Hertfordshire? Let's Talk Postgrad is the perfect opportunity for you to speak directly to our expert academics to learn more about your course of interest, life as a postgraduate student and the opportunities that further study offers.
Hourly subject sessions take place from 18 - 22 March, at 16.00 or 17.00.
This online event will help you to:
- find out more about module content, delivery and assessment methods
- ask about employment prospects, our invaluable industry connections, accreditations and placement opportunities.
MSc Software Engineering with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a chartered IT professional.
- Work placement opportunities: You will have a one-year paid placement. Previous students have worked for organisations including Apple, Intel and Microsoft.
- Employment prospects: Graduates work as business analysts, consultants, software engineers, and application developers for organisations including Capgemini, Optoma Technology and Ocado.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional. Students on the specialist MSc with placement (Semester B entry) must pass the 7COM1064 Preparation for Placement module as a condition for accreditation.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught master's programme at the Department of Computer Science
This course examines current research and practice in software engineering. You will develop knowledge and skills in the models, methodologies, measures and tools that can be employed in software development considered as an engineering discipline.
The programme offers three award routes that you can choose to study:
Why choose this course?
- 3rd for computer science in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023).
- This MSc with the one-year industry placement will give you additional industrial experience by applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies in a working environment.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in advanced computer science.
- This MSc develops graduates’ practical skills of producing models of software engineering processes and artefacts using appropriate modelling techniques, and applying measures to software engineering processes and artefacts and use the data produced to evaluate software engineering activities.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Computer Science saw 90% of its research ranked as world-leading (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
Where will I study?
Learn in our brand-new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science building, opening in 2024, where you’ll experience a range of experiential learning zones. You will have access to modelling, simulation and research labs, our Merlin Flight Simulator and automotive workshop (complete with electric vehicle facility), wind tunnel, welding bay and controls testing suite.
You will also benefit from a Success and Skills Support Unit, which is aimed at helping you build your employability and academic skills. Plus, have access to industry mentors who will provide you with pastoral support, vocational guidance, and career progression opportunities.
The new building will also provide space to collaborate, with plenty of workshops, social and meeting spaces available. Even better, the building has been designed with the University’s net zero carbon target in mind, and forms part of our plan to replace or upgrade older sites that are energy inefficient.
|Measures and Models for Software Engineering
|Programming for Software Engineers
|Software Engineering Practice and Experience
|Software Engineering Masters Project
|Preparation for Placement
|Team Research and Development Project
|Professional Work Placement for MSc Computer Science
Further course information
|Course fact sheets
|MSc Software Engineering (Sandwich)
|MSc Software Engineering - Extended
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.