MSc Power Electronics and Control
Why choose Herts?
- Industry accreditation: This course is accredited by IET and meets the standards set by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UKSPEC).
- Employment Prospects: Our graduates work as Power Engineers, Power Systems Engineers, and Control Engineers working on power systems projects for organisations including EDF, British Gas and AAB.
- Industry connections: Benefit from our long-established relationships with industry, to include Imagination Technologies, Samsung, and BAE who support with careers fairs and guest lectures.
About the course
On the MSc in Power Electronics and Control, the development of skills and advancement of knowledge focus on enabling you to solve multidisciplinary problems related to energy conversion, renewable energy systems integration and energy efficiency. Alongside this there will be the opportunity for you to develop practical skills for the analysis, design and application of power conversion systems in key areas of industry.
You will cover subject specific subjects such as Advanced Power Electronics and Control and Control of Engineering Systems alongside cohort taught subjects to develop their management skills and their employability.
The successful postgraduates of the course will acquire the knowledge and understanding, intellectual, practical and transferable skills necessary for the analysis and synthesis of problems in engineering and manufacturing through a combination of experimental, simulation, research methods and case studies. You can expect to gain work in a range of disciplines within a variety of industries from specialist technical roles to positions of management responsibility.
Why choose this course?
- Gain experience of integrating and designing systems that are based on renewable energy systems.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of fundamental technologies used in the control and conversion of electric power.
- Supported by the School which has over 25 years' experience of teaching electronic engineering and has established an excellent international reputation in this field.
- We offer extensive lab facilities for engineering students, including the latest software packages.
What will I study?
Our enthusiastic staff is always looking for new ways to enhance your learning experience and over recent years, we have won national awards for our innovative teaching ideas. In addition, our staff are active in research and useful elements of it are reflected on the learning experience.
The Department of Engineering and Computer Science has a reputation for innovation in teaching and learning, where nearly all MSc modules are delivered through a combination of traditional face-to-face teaching and backup tutorial's using the University's StudyNet web based facility. StudyNet allows students to access electronic teaching and learning resources, and conduct electronic discussions with staff and other students.
A heavy emphasis is placed on theory and practice, and the Department of Engineering and Computer Science has a policy of using industrial standard software wherever possible.
|Advanced Reconfigurable Systems and Applications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Embedded Control Systems||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Advanced Power Electronics and Control||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Information Theory and Data Processing||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Sustainable Business of Engineering||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc Individual Project (E)||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Digital Signal Processing and Applications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Artificial Intelligence||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Renewable Energy Systems and Smart Grids Technologies||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Sustainable Business of Electronics||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Power Electronics and Control||Download|
|MSc Modular Masters in Electronics||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.