Book an open event
Thinking of studying for a postgraduate degree at the University of Hertfordshire? Let's Talk Postgrad is the perfect opportunity for you to speak directly to our expert academics to learn more about your course of interest, life as a postgraduate student and the opportunities that further study offers.
Hourly subject sessions take place from 18 - 22 March, at 16.00 or 17.00.
This online event will help you to:
- find out more about module content, delivery and assessment methods
- ask about employment prospects, our invaluable industry connections, accreditations and placement opportunities.
MSc International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
Why choose Herts?
- Industry accreditations: The University is a member of the Tourism Management Institute (TMI), Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA), and the Association for Event Management Education (AEME).
- Employment prospects: Graduates work as hotel customer relations managers, travel agents, and airline staff for organisations including Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Expedia Group, and TUI.
- Flexibility: You have the option to complete the course on fast-track in one academic year, or to complete in two-years with a choice of a work placement or advanced research.
The University is member of the Tourism Management Institute (TMI), Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA) and the Association for Event Management Education (AEME).
About the course
MSc International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management has been designed to provide you with the enhanced skills and knowledge which are necessary to support key decision-making within the international tourism, hospitality and event industries. The programme is underpinned by a strong theoretical base across a number of contexts relevant to tourism, hospitality and event management in contemporary international environments. A distinctive feature of this programme is that it offers you opportunities to interact with current industry practitioners and therefore enables a hands-on approach.
The programme is offered full time (1 year mode) or part time (2 year mode). A new sandwich version is also offered in full time on a 2 year mode. The sandwich programme requires you to successfully complete a minimum of 36 weeks full-time work placement. This is a very valuable experience which allows you to familiarise themselves with the day to day activities of Tourism, Hospitality and Event businesses, and to use your initiative in dealing with issues of the work environment.
Why choose this course?
Our Postgraduate studies are sector leading amongst over 100 Higher Education Institutions in the UK as evidenced by our extraordinary achievement:
- 1st out of 85 universities for business and management in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023)
- 1st for Skills Development, 2nd for Support, Resources, Community and Assessment (Advance HE, 2023)
- The course offers you comprehensive knowledge of the Tourism, Hospitality and Event industries.
- It is delivered by a very successful and internationally renowned team of experts, both in terms of their managerial experience and academic knowledge.
- It offers a balance of practical input and academic knowledge to support graduates in their future careers within these industries.
- It provides opportunities to interact with current industry practitioners.
- It presents flexibility to study full time, part time and it offers the possibility to undertake a work placement.
What will I study?
We offer a varied programme of teaching that includes facilitated seminars, practical workshops, projects for companies, web-based learning, case study analysis and traditional lectures. We also provide sessions by visiting staff, practitioners and consultants to give a varied perspective of the topics covered. You will be assessed through a variety of coursework including presentations, reports and projects. You will also be required to complete a dissertation and will be supported by a dissertation supervisor.
Work Based Learning
The MSc International Tourism, Hospitality and Events (Sandwich) programme incorporates a one-year work placement of a minimum of 36 weeks full time work experience. Students must normally achieve a Semester A grade average of 60% to proceed onto the placement. For students with visa restrictions, the placement would need to take place within the UK. Students will typically need to secure a placement by the end of April in their first academic year of study, in order to process the necessary paperwork required.
The ‘Sandwich’ award requires students to successfully complete a minimum of 36 weeks full-time work placement, submit acceptable milestone reports during the placement as part of their ‘Professional Work Placement’ module, and pass the ‘Work Placement Portfolio’ module at the start of their final semester. Students identify and apply for their placements, and are supported in this by the UH Careers and Employment Service, and the School’s ‘Preparation for Work’ module.
|International Business Strategy
|Accounting and Finance in the Organisation
|Research Methods for Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
|Contemporary Themes: Tourism/Hospitality/Event Management
|Marketing and Technology for Tourism, Hospitality and Events
|People Management for the Tourism, Hospitality and Event Industries
|Crisis, Risk and Recovery for Tourism, Hospitality and Events
|Management Research Report
Dr Mary Quek
Senior Lecturer, Hospitality
Find out more about Dr Mary Quek
Dr Sofia Reino
Find out more about Dr Sofia Reino
Further course information
|Course fact sheets
|MSc International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
|MSc International Tourism, Hospitality and Event Management
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.