Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a chartered IT professional.
- Work Placement Opportunities: You will gain real industry experience during a one-year work placement.
- Employment Prospects: Graduates in our department are now data scientists, data engineers, and data analytics consultants working for organisations including BT, IBM and Microsoft.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional. Students on the specialist MSc with placement (Semester B entry) must pass the 7COM1064 Preparation for Placement module as a condition for accreditation.
About the course
This course is part of our master's programme in Computer Science.
The MSc in Data Science and Analytics utilises our strong international reputation for research in these areas. The expertise of our staff influences this course which explores current research and practice in data science and analytics, extending your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of obtaining data from various sources, the essential methods for pre-processing and cleaning data, data analytics and modelling.
The programme offers three award routes that you can choose to study:
- MSc Data Science and Analytics
- MSc Data Science and Analytics with Placement Year
- MSc Data Science and Analytics with Advanced Research
Why choose this course?
- 3rd for computer science in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023).
- You will gain industrial experience by applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies in a practical environment.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Data Science and Analytics.
- Advanced topics studied include mathematics and programming of data science, data mining, machine learning and neural artificis, and data analytics applications.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Computer Science saw 90% of its research ranked as world-leading (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
Where will I study?
Learn in our brand-new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science building, opening in 2024, where you’ll experience a range of experiential learning zones.
The computer science labs are home to telecommunications, robotics and UX empathy labs, with a variety of research spaces that range from dark rooms to clean rooms, and sample prep labs to calibration and assembly labs.
You will also benefit from a Success and Skills Support Unit, which is aimed at helping you build your employability and academic skills. Plus, have access to industry mentors who will provide you with pastoral support, vocational guidance, and career progression opportunities.
The new building will also provide space to collaborate, with plenty of workshops, social and meeting spaces available. Even better, the building has been designed with the University’s net zero carbon target in mind, and forms part of our plan to replace or upgrade older sites that are energy inefficient.
|Data Mining||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Neural Networks and Machine Learning||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Preparation for Placement||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Foundations of Data Science||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Applied Data Science and Analytics||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Data Science and Analytics Masters Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Team Research and Development Project||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional Work Placement for MSc Computer Science||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Responsible Technology||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Data Science and Analytics (Sandwich)||Download|
|MSc Data Science and Analytics - Extended||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.