MSc Cyber Security with Advanced Research
Why choose Herts?
- Teaching Excellence: Our academic research has been rated as industry-leading with strengths in threat analysis, critical infrastructure protection, digital forensics, penetration testing, and IoT security.
- Industry Connections: You will benefit from our strong links in the computing industry with regular careers fairs and industry sessions supported by Microsoft, Hewlett Packard, and Ocado Technologies.
- Industry-Focused Content: You will explore the latest penetration testing and digital forensics software at our purpose-built Cyber Security Centre (see about the course for software details).
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and the department is currently in touch with the BCS regarding continued accreditation.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught Master's Programme at the Department of Computer Science.
This course considers current research and practice in cyber security. You will build the fundamental and advanced aspects of cyber security in terms of theory, practice, policy and security standard to enable critical cyber security decision marking, the extant threats to current and emerging systems and networks and the effective countermeasures to such threats in compliance with information security management standards, and the social, legal and ethical issues relating to cyber security in the context of digital forensics, information security management, penetrating testing and cyber operations.
Why choose this course?
- The award offers the opportunity for students to study advanced research topics in computer science, normally across multiple specialisms, and comprehensive research methods, and to undertake an extended masters project on a cutting-edge research topic.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in cyber security.
- You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in identifying and critically evaluating vulnerabilities of and threats to the security and integrity of distributed systems, conducting and managing a comprehensive risk assessment of the distributed systems in a complex and unpredictable environment. Advanced topics studied include distributed systems security, information security, management and compliance, digital forensics, penetration testing, and cyber operations
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Half the research outputs in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire have been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
|Distributed Systems Security||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Information Security, Management and Compliance||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Digital Forensics||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Penetration Testing||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Cyber Operations||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Cyber Security Masters Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Team Research and Development Project||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Legal and Ethical Practice Exercise||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Preparation for Project||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Advanced Research Topics in Computer Science||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research Methods||30 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Cyber Security with Advanced Research||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular) with Advanced Research||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.