Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a Chartered IT Professional.
- Employment Prospects: Graduates work as Business and IT Analysts, HR system managers, and IT managers for organisations including Google, Parker Hannifin, and Kellkoo.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught Masters Programme at the School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science. Our course is specially designed for graduates of numerate subjects other than computer science. It is mostly taught separately from the other courses. It intensively covers a broad range of the key principles and techniques of computer science.
There is an emphasis on software development, in particular when applied to solving problems in other disciplines. Depending on the modules chosen, it can lead to a career in areas such as systems development, IT management, or the deployment of advanced applications in specific disciplines.
Why choose this course?
- This MSc is one of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate masters programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in software engineering.
- You will develop knowledge and skills in the models, methodologies, measures and tools that can be employed in software development considered as an engineering discipline.
- You will be taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Computer Science saw 90% of its research ranked as world-leading (Research Excellence Framework, 2022).
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
Where will I study?
Learn in our brand-new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science building, opening in 2024, where you’ll experience a range of experiential learning zones.
The computer science labs are home to telecommunications, robotics and UX empathy labs, with a variety of research spaces that range from dark rooms to clean rooms, and sample prep labs to calibration and assembly labs.
You will also benefit from a Success and Skills Support Unit, which is aimed at helping you build your employability and academic skills. Plus, have access to industry mentors who will provide you with pastoral support, vocational guidance, and career progression opportunities.
The new building will also provide space to collaborate, with plenty of workshops, social and meeting spaces available. Even better, the building has been designed with the University’s net zero carbon target in mind, and forms part of our plan to replace or upgrade older sites that are energy inefficient.
|Operating Systems and Networks||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Computer Architectures||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Programming and Program Design||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Computer Science Masters Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Software Development Exercise||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Multi-User Database Systems||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Responsible Technology||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Computer Science||Download|
|MSc Computer Science||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.