MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a Chartered IT Professional, to work as a Chartered Engineer.
- Work Placement Opportunities: You will have a one-year industry placement. Previous graduates have worked for organisations including Apple, Leonardo, and Vodafone.
- Industry-Focused Content: You will develop technical expertise and practical skills required in industry for the design, management, and evaluation of network using tools including VMWare, Cisco Packet Tracer, and Wireshark.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
The former version of this programme was accredited by BCS under the award title MSc Computer Networking Principles and Practice as below.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and the department is currently in touch with the BCS regarding continued accreditation.
About the course
The MSc in Computer Networks and Systems Security considers current research and practice in computer networks and systems security. You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in the design, management and evaluation of networks, and in the use of tools and techniques for systems security. This MSc can lead to a career such as a network system designer or administrator, or as a security consultant.
This course is part of our Master's programme in Computer Science.
Why choose this course?
- You will gain industrial experience by applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies into practice.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in computer networks and systems security.
- You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in the design, management and evaluation of networks, and in the use of tools and techniques for systems security. Advanced topics studied include network systems administration, wireless mobile and multimedia networking, distributed systems security, and secure systems programming.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Half of the research outputs in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire have been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Teaching is through a combination of lecturer-led presentation of specific topics using lectures, tutorials and practical classes and via guided reading among specialist textbooks and journals.
You will be encouraged to undertake independent study both to supplement and consolidate what is being taught in class to further your understanding and explore new areas of research and interest.
|Distributed Systems Security||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Secure Systems Programming||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Network System Administration||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Professional Work Placement for MSc Computer Science||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networking||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Team Research and Development Project||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Legal and Ethical Practice Exercise||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Preparation for Project||0 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc (SW) Computer Networks and Systems Security||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular)||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.