Book an open event
Thinking of studying for a postgraduate degree at the University of Hertfordshire? Let's Talk Postgrad is the perfect opportunity for you to speak directly to our expert academics to learn more about your course of interest, life as a postgraduate student and the opportunities that further study offers.
Hourly subject sessions take place from 18 - 22 March, at 16.00 or 17.00.
This online event will help you to:
- find out more about module content, delivery and assessment methods
- ask about employment prospects, our invaluable industry connections, accreditations and placement opportunities.
MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security with Placement Year
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a chartered IT professional, to work as a chartered engineer.
- Work Placement Opportunities: You will have a one-year industry placement. Previous graduates have worked for organisations including Apple, Leonardo and Vodafone.
- Industry-Focused Content: You will develop technical expertise and practical skills required in industry for the design, management, and evaluation of network using tools including VMWare, Cisco Packet Tracer and Wireshark.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional. Students on the specialist MSc with placement (Semester B entry) must pass the 7COM1064 Preparation for Placement module as a condition for accreditation.
About the course
This course is part of our master's programme in Computer Science.
The MSc in Computer Networks and Systems Security considers current research and practice in computer networks and systems security. You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in the design, management and evaluation of networks, and in the use of tools and techniques for systems security. This MSc can lead to a career such as a network system designer or administrator, or as a security consultant.
The programme offers three award routes that you can choose to study:
- MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security
- MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security with Placement Year
- MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security with Advanced Research
Why choose this course?
- 3rd for computer science in the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES, Advance HE, 2023).
- You will gain industrial experience by applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies into practice.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in computer networks and systems security.
- You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in the design, management and evaluation of networks, and in the use of tools and techniques for systems security. Advanced topics studied include network systems administration, wireless mobile and multimedia networking, distributed systems security, and secure systems programming.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Computer Science saw 90% of its research ranked as world-leading (Research Excellence Framework, 2021).
What will I study?
Teaching is through a combination of lecturer-led presentation of specific topics using lectures, tutorials and practical classes and via guided reading among specialist textbooks and journals.
You will be encouraged to undertake independent study both to supplement and consolidate what is being taught in class to further your understanding and explore new areas of research and interest.
Where will I study?
Learn in our brand-new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science building, opening in 2024, where you’ll experience a range of experiential learning zones.
The computer science labs are home to telecommunications, robotics and UX empathy labs, with a variety of research spaces that range from dark rooms to clean rooms, and sample prep labs to calibration and assembly labs.
You will also benefit from a Success and Skills Support Unit, which is aimed at helping you build your employability and academic skills. Plus, have access to industry mentors who will provide you with pastoral support, vocational guidance, and career progression opportunities.
The new building will also provide space to collaborate, with plenty of workshops, social and meeting spaces available. Even better, the building has been designed with the University’s net zero carbon target in mind, and forms part of our plan to replace or upgrade older sites that are energy inefficient.
|Distributed Systems Security
|Secure Systems Programming
|Network System Administration
|Preparation for Placement
|Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networking
|Computer Networks and Systems Security Masters Project
|Team Research and Development Project
|Professional Work Placement for MSc Computer Science
Further course information
|Course fact sheets
|MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security (Sandwich)
|MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security - Extended
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.