MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security with Advanced Research
Why choose Herts?
Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a Chartered IT Professional, to work as a Chartered Engineer.
Work Placement Opportunities: You have a one-year industry placement option. Previous graduates have worked for organisations including Apple, Leonardo, and Vodafone.
Industry-Focused Content: You will develop technical expertise and practical skills required in industry for the design, management, and evaluation of network using tools including VMWare, Cisco Packet Tracer, and Wireshark.
Accredited by BCS under the award title MSc Computer Networking Principles and Practice as below.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and the department is currently in touch with the BCS regarding continued accreditation.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught Master's Programme at the Department of Computer Science
This course considers current research and practice in computer networks and systems security. You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in the design, management and evaluation of networks, and in the use of tools and techniques for systems security. This MSc can lead to a career such as a network system designer or administrator, or as a security consultant.
Graduates obtaining this award will be equipped to pursue research to PhD level, or to enter specialist employment in technically advanced and unpredictable working environments requiring sound judgment and the exercise of personal responsibility and initiative.
Why choose this course?
- The award offers the opportunity for students to study advanced research topics in computer science, normally across multiple specialisms, and comprehensive research methods, and to undertake an extended masters project on a cutting-edge research topic.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in computer networks and systems security.
- You will develop technical expertise and practical skills in the design, management and evaluation of networks, and in the use of tools and techniques for systems security. Advanced topics studied include network systems administration, wireless mobile and multimedia networking, distributed systems security, and secure systems programming.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Half the research outputs in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire have been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
|Distributed Systems Security||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Secure Systems Programming||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Network System Administration||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networking||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Computer Networks and Systems Security Masters Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Team Research and Development Project||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Legal and Ethical Practice Exercise||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Advanced Research Topics in Computer Science||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research Methods||30 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Computer Networks and Systems Security with Advanced Research||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular) with Advanced Research||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.