Why choose Herts?
- Teaching Excellence: You will be taught by Internationally renowned researchers who support with research projects in Cancer Immunotherapy.
- Employment Prospects: Graduates work as research scientists, scientific officers, and senior managers for organisations including Roche, Merck, and Astra Zeneca.
- Sector-led Course Content: Explore our research interests of the Bioscience Research Group covering topics such as Adoptive T cell therapy, tumour-associated macrophages, NK cells, and monoclonal antibodies in cancer therapy.
About the course
The use of the immune system in cancer therapy is a prevailing ambition in the field. You’ll gain expert knowledge of the numerous ways cancers and the immune system interact so you can learn how cancer immunotherapies are developed. We’ll provide a thorough understanding of immune effector mechanisms and cancer biology. You’ll develop a range of personal skills through self-directed learning and our problem-based approach to teaching.
Alternatively, consider taking our other MSc Cancer Immunotherapy routes:
Why choose this course?
- You’ll be taught by our expert staff and innovative speakers from the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Our modern Science Building provides excellent facilities for laboratory experiments, including DNA and genomic analysis eg QPCR, protein and proteomic science (eg MALDI-ToF), cell culture and Enzyme-based assays, isolated tissue studies and immunohistochemistry
- When you graduate, you’ll be equipped to work in a broad range of fields including medical or pharmaceutical research and development, clinical trials, public health and epidemiology, academia research, medical writing and science journalism, education, or patent law
- We adopt a blended learning approach to teaching, focussing on problem-based scenarios so you can develop strong critical analysis skills. You’ll benefit from exposure to practical techniques and guaranteed laboratory-based research projects
- If successful you will have the opportunity to apply for a 12-month placement. If you are not successful in finding placement position then you can transfer to MSc Cancer Immunotherapy Advanced Research route.
What will I study?
You’ll benefit from the research interests of the Bioscience Research Group. These include studies of the tumour microenvironment and communication with infiltrating immune cells, the methods tumours employ to diminish the effectivity of immune effector mechanisms and how tumours communicate using extracellular vesicles with pre-metastatic sites. We’ll cover topics such as adoptive T cell therapy, tumour-associated macrophages, NK cells, monoclonal antibodies in cancer therapy, vaccines, microbial cancer therapies and immune checkpoint blockade.
Teaching will be delivered through lectures, tutorials and practical classes. You’ll immerse yourself in a research project which utilises problem-based and self-directed learning. You’ll explore case studies to gain a strong critical understanding. Through your research projects, carried out in our innovative Science Building and supervised by world-leading researchers, you’ll be trained in data collection, analysis and its interpretation. You’ll also benefit from expert external speakers from the biopharmaceutical industry.
|Translational Medical Science||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Contemporary Topics in Cancer Immunotherapy||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Molecular Medicine||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Research Project with Research Methods||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc Biosciences Placement Year||0 Credits||Compulsory|
|Work Placement Assessment||0 Credits||Compulsory|
Dr Caroline Formstone
Find out more about Dr Caroline Formstone
Dr Sherael Webley
Dr Shoib Sarwar
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Cancer Immunotherapy||Download|
|MSc Cancer Immunotherapy||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.