Why choose Herts?
- Industry accreditation: This course is RAes and IMechE accredited and meets the further learning requirement for Chartered Engineer (CEng) registration.
- Fantastic facilities: You will have direct access to extensive labs exclusively open for aerospace engineering students including flight simulators, industry-level CAE software packages, and wind tunnels.
- Industry connections: Benefit from industry-led skills-sessions supported by our established links in the aerospace industry which include strong relations with organisations including Rolls Royce, Thales, and MBDA.
The MSc Aerospace Engineering course is accredited by RAeS as meeting the further learning requirements for Chartered Engineer (CEng) registration.
About the course
This is an integrated degree programme that brings together the key generic skills of management and research methods with specific modules focusing on aerodynamics and flight mechanics. This approach will help you to develop your critical thinking skills as a future engineering manager, or technical specialist enabling you effectively to analyse technical and or management issues. The programme aims to:
- equip you with the theory and the practice of relevant subjects, technologies and analytical tools to provide solutions for aerospace and related manufacturing problems
- provide a blend of knowledge and application experience through case studies and project work
- focus on the links between analysis and design and the supporting skills of management
- provide education and experience which enhances prospects of professional employment within the industry.
The programme offers two award routes that you can choose to study:
- One-year full-time MSc Aerospace Engineering (September and January entry)
- 18-months full-time MSc Aerospace Engineering (September and January entry)
Why choose this course?
- The School has over 50 years experience of teaching aerospace and has established an excellent international reputation in this field.
- We offer extensive lab facilities for aerospace engineering students, including a flight simulator, the latest software packages and wind tunnels.
- This MSc combines analysis and design with management skills to produce highly-employable postgraduates.
- 1st in the East of England for Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering (2023 Complete University Guide).
What will I study?
The School has a reputation for innovation in teaching and learning, where nearly all MSc modules are delivered through a combination of traditional face-to-face teaching and backup tutorial's using the University's StudyNet web based facility. StudyNet allows students to access electronic teaching and learning resources, and conduct electronic discussion's with staff and other students. A heavy emphasis is placed on theory and practice, and the School has a policy of using industrial standard software wherever possible. The School also operate an open access laboratory, and computer policy, that will help students complete coursework and assignments, at a scheduled pace and on time.
Where will I study?
Learn in our brand-new School of Physics, Engineering and Computer Science building, opening in 2024, where you’ll experience a range of experiential learning zones. You will have access to modelling, simulation and research labs, our Merlin Flight Simulator and automotive workshop (complete with electric vehicle facility), wind tunnel, welding bay and controls testing suite.
You will also benefit from a Success and Skills Support Unit, which is aimed at helping you build your employability and academic skills. Plus, have access to industry mentors who will provide you with pastoral support, vocational guidance, and career progression opportunities.
The new building will also provide space to collaborate, with plenty of workshops, social and meeting spaces available. Even better, the building has been designed with the University’s net zero carbon target in mind, and forms part of our plan to replace or upgrade older sites that are energy inefficient.
|Flight Mechanics||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Procurement & Supply Chain Management||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|MSc Project||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Sustainable Business of Engineering||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|CAE & Applications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|CFD & Applications||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Flight Simulation||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Aerospace Aerodynamics||15 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Aerospace Engineering||Download|
|MSc (Modular) Aerospace Engineering||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.