MSc Advanced Computer Science
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditations: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) and the Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council, which enables you to prepare for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
- Employment Prospects: Our graduates work as software engineers, developers, and project managers for organisations including IBM and Microsoft.
- Work-Related Learning: You have a one-year paid-placement work-placement option. Students have gained work-placements with organisations including Hewlett Packard, BT, and Vodafone.
The previous incarnation of this programme and its awards achieved accreditation from the BCS as below.
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT for the purposes of fully meeting the further learning academic requirement for registration as a Chartered IT Professional
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT on behalf of the Engineering Council for the purposes of partially meeting the academic requirement for registration as a Chartered Engineer
This new version of the programme has been carefully designed to achieve appropriate levels of accreditation, and the department is currently in touch with the BCS regarding continued accreditation.
About the course
One of a range of degrees from the taught Master's Programme in the Department of Computer Science
This award is targeted at those who have a good Honours degree in computer science or a very closely related discipline, and who wish to extend and deepen their knowledge in two or more different sub-discipline areas. This course will enable you to enhance your career prospects or prepare for a programme of research that requires knowledge of one or more of these sub-discipline areas. You will have a wide range of taught modules from which to choose, and will be expected to complete a major project that extends and applies what you have learnt in one or more of the taught modules they have taken.
Why choose this course?
- This MSc is available with an optional one-year industry placement. The 'with placement' programmes give you additional industrial experience by applying the skills you have learned throughout your studies.
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in advanced computer science.
- This MSc will help you develop skills using and critically evaluating a range of methods and tools currently employed in at least two specialist topics of computer science to advanced depth.
- Taught by a highly-regarded and long-established computer science department with strong links to business.
- Half the research outputs in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire have been rated at world-leading or internationally excellent in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
What will I study?
Classes consist of lectures, small group seminars, and practical work in our well-equipped laboratories. We use modern, industry-standard software wherever possible. There are specialist facilities for networking and multimedia and a project laboratory especially for masters students. In addition to scheduled classes, you will be expected a significant amount of time in self-study, taking advantage of the extensive and up-to-date facilities. These include the Learning Resource Centres, open 24x7, with 1,500 computer workstations and wifi access, Studynet our versatile online study environment usable on and off campus, and open access to our labs.
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Advanced Computer Science||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular)||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2021/2022. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.