Care Leavers and Care Experienced
The Children (Leaving Care) Act 2000 defines a Care Leaver as someone who has been in the care of the Local Authority for a period of 13 weeks or more spanning their 16th birthday. The University of Hertfordshire (UH) uses this definition to assess eligibility for Care Leaver support which includes a financial bursary.
Care Experienced: The term Care Experienced is a broader definition which refers to anyone who has experience of being in care before the age of 16.
We understand that the application process and settling in at university can be particularly challenging for Care Leavers and Care Experienced students and want to provide support in making your time at university as stress free and successful as possible.
What can we offer you?
The Student Success team are dedicated to supporting you to be successful throughout your journey at Herts and beyond.
If you are a confirmed home status, undergraduate Care Leaver, you will have access to:
- A dedicated member of staff within the Student Success team who you can email or phone for guidance and support.
- A tailored newsletter with opportunities, events and support available to you as a Student Success Student.
- Access to coaching to support you with motivation and confidence for your studies.
We will support you with additional costs so that you can focus on your studies.
- A care leaver bursary worth £1800 per year for up to three years of undergraduate study (subject to eligibility checks). View the Care leaver bursary Terms and Conditions
- Short term financial assistance to support with living and study costs (for example food vouchers, travel or equipment related to your course).
- Expert advice from our Student Funding and Financial Support Team on managing your finances.
- First year undergraduate students (Level 4), may be eligible for the University of Hertfordshire bursary.
- The University also has a financial support fund for students experiencing financial difficulty.
- The University of Hertfordshire is able to guarantee Care Experienced students who are supported by a Local Authority accommodation all year (including outside of term times), if required.
- We can also support you with accommodation issues (both on campus and privately rented accommodation) through our connections with the Housing and Welfare teams and working relationships with have with the local authorities.
You’ll have exclusive access to opportunities to develop your skills and Graduate Attributes:
- Help with preparing for employment in the career of your choice by working closely with our expert colleagues in the Careers and Employment Service here at the University.
- Support in applying for your Go Herts Award, an award which will increase your confidence in talking about your skills gained from activity outside of your degree.
- Priority access to workshops and resources provided by the Student Success team.
Care Experienced students will also have access to the above opportunities as well as support from the Student Success team including short-term financial assistance and access to coaching.
If you'd like more information or to have a chat about how we can support you please email our dedicated inbox at email@example.com