Top 10 environmental tips
Here are a few of the things you could do to live more sustainably:
- Turn off electrical appliances when you're not using them – a single computer and monitor left on 24 hours a day will cost over £50 a year.
- Waterwise. Be water wise. It's easier than you think. Simple actions can have big impacts.
- Reduce your waste by reusing and repairing – many items can still be used when you've finished with them.
- Don't waste food – in Britain, if we stopped wasting food we could avoid 18 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents being emitted each year.
- Recycle your waste – one recycled tin can would save enough energy to power a television for 3 hours.
- Support Fairtrade for better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for farmers and workers in the developing world.
- Get on your bike – nearly half the British population live within a mile of the National Cycle Network, make the most of it.
- Volunteer to make a difference – volunteer some of your time to make a difference to your local community.
- Eat more local, seasonal food to reduce the energy needed to grow and transport the food we eat, support the local economy and reconnect with nature.
- Buy more sustainably – look for products that have been made with respect for the environment.