These report documents reflect the roundtable discussions organised by the Smart Mobility Unit at the University of Hertfordshire. Stephen Joseph led the roundtables on the future of transport outside cities. They were sponsored by DfT, England's Economic Heartland, Hertfordshire County Council, the Connected Places Catapult and Gascoyne Estates.
The starting point was that while there’s a lot of research and policy work on transport and mobility in cities, there is much less work on what the future of transport might look like in more rural areas, especially places like English counties with a mix of market towns, edge lands of cities and small villages.
The roundtables aimed to help fill this gap. Following lockdown, they migrated online.
A programme of small online meetings was developed on key topics on transport outside cities, also reflecting the impact of COVID-19.
Participants were drawn from the following sectors: national, sub-regional and local government, transport consultancy, property development, academic research, non-governmental organisations. Stephen Joseph facilitated the discussion.
The idea was to have papers/slides circulated in advance and then have a small group of invitees to discuss and comment on them. The meetings were minuted but unattributed. The events were kept short, again reflecting experience with online events.
Research reports are contained in the drop down list below.
Research series - The future of mobility in counties
These sessions have been kindly sponsored by:
- Department for Transport
- England’s Economic Heartland
- Hertfordshire County Council
- Gascoyne Estates Ltd
- and supported by the Connected Places Catapult.
A total of 10 round table sessions were held. These were facilitated by Professor Dr Stephen Joseph, transport policy consultant, and the resulting reports may be accessed by using the links below.
- Introduction - Challenges and opportunities for transport in counties: 31 January 2020 (PDF - 0.31 Mb)
- Data and technology developments in transport: 26 February 2020 (PDF - 0.25 Mb)
- Shared transport, MaaS and Microtransit: 1 May 2020 (PDF - 0.18 Mb)
- Mobility hubs: 6 May 2020 (PDF - 0.24 Mb)
- Decarbonisation: 22 May 2020 (PDF - 0.39 Mb)
- Short journeys: 28 May 2020 (PDF - 0.37 Mb)
- Demand responsive transport: 11 June 2020 (PDF - 0.41 Mb)
- Placemaking: 16 June 2020 (PDF - 0.45 Mb)
- Consultation: 25 June 2020 (PDF - 0.44 Mb)
- Public transport: 2 July 2020 (PDF - 0.33 Mb)
The final Herts report which brings all the above reports together
Read 'The future of transport outside cities: a report on roundtables' report
(PDF - 0.35 Mb)
State of the nations update