To work with the Advanced Powertrain Research Lab contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call +44 (0) 1707 283185.
The Advanced Powertrain Laboratory activities are supported by a specialised facility in Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH). Current research projects of approximately £500k are currently funded mainly by APC/ IUK with strong financial support from industrial partners, including two fully funded PhDs.
The Advanced Powertrain Laboratory has 4 engine cells, a Multi-cylinder diesel, a single cylinder diesel, a multi-cylinder petrol and an optical single cylinder petrol.
Equipment and High Performance Computing
- Testo 350 emission analyser and an AVL smoke meter for emission testing
- PHOTRON SA3 high speed camera for high speed imaging bespoke fuel injection equipment characterisation test rig to measure fuel injection rate and quantity
- rolling road testing facility to perform engine mapping and drive-cycle emission testing
- high performance computing for numerical simulation of advanced IC engines using GT-POWER, ANSYS, CONVERGE SCIENCE and AVL FIRE.
Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) laboratory facility
- 4-post-test rig for automotive suspension testing
- PULSE Material Testing system with full set of triaxle accelerometers and 1/2" Free-field Microphone to perform modal analysis as well as acoustic emission and vibration based condition monitoring of rotating machinery and IC engine
- Transmission Loss Tube Kit (50 Hz - 6.4 kHz) to perform acoustic characterization of insulating materials for automotive applications
- Anechoic Chamber (2.5mx2.5mx3m) complemented by a comprehensive suite measurement and analysis equipment to perform Sound Power Determination
- Condition Monitoring equipped with a range of electrodynamic shakers, a SKF bearing test equipment and a bespoke gearbox condition monitoring system for the development of acoustic and vibration based condition monitoring techniques.
New laboratory investment includes a Flywheel testing facility, PLIF measurement system, PIV measurement system, PDA measurement system, single cylinder diesel engine conversion to optical to increase the labs' capabilities in
- developing advanced flywheel testing facilities for energy storage applications in the automotive and off-highway sectors
- developing low carbon energy efficient powertrain
- offering complete optical diagnostic measurement for combustion analysis
- developing dual-combustion systems
- validating numerical simulation based on optical diagnostic measurement data
- implementing new methodology to perform robust and reliable condition monitoring
- identifying fault indicators for the acoustic condition monitoring of rotating machinery
- structural analysis and mechanical testing of flywheel for energy storage.