Geography and environment
Bridge the gap between human society and the natural environment, and find solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems, such as environmental change, population dynamics, biodiversity loss and global inequalities. Our Geography and Environment degrees will prepare you to apply pivotal societal and environmental knowledge and skills for the benefit of all.
Why choose this subject area?
- ranked 14th for Geography and Environmental studies in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2022)
- ranked in the top 25% in 6 categories* in the 2023 National Student Survey (NSS)
- you will have the opportunity to travel on exciting UK and overseas residential field courses in year one and year two with no additional fees!
- get hands on and see the world – our programmes are built with a high number of practical and fieldwork contact time. Travel and conduct ‘real-world’ fieldwork alongside staff at our environmental field station and broaden your horizon with fieldwork in locations such as Iceland, Switzerland or the High Arctic
- benefit from our extremely close links with local and national employers and environmental groups. We offer many opportunities to apply your knowledge to help you address real world environmental and geographical issues, and gain valuable work experience in the process!
*based on averages of questions 5-9, 10-14, 15-16, 17-18, 19-21 and 22-24 of the NSS survey 2023.