About the course
- Apprenticeship standard: Product Design and Development Degree Apprenticeship
- Final award: BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineers are involved in producing innovative designs, using the latest materials and Computer Aided Engineering systems to meet ever-increasing expectations in 21st century living.
This course will develop the learner’s mechanical engineering expertise and professional skills across a broad curriculum with modules including thermofluid mechanics and heat transfer, mechanical engineering design and manufacturing strategy.
This course maps to the Product Design and Development Engineer apprenticeship standard.
Why choose this course?
- This BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering course has been highly successful and over the years produced thousands of successful graduates working in all fields of engineering
- You can apply your knowledge to typical mechanical projects such as the design of a hovercraft
- You will learn how to apply computer-aided engineering and industrial-standard software, recommended by the Automotive Industry Advisory Panel
What will I study?
The school has a reputation for innovation in teaching and learning with most modules delivered through a combination of traditional face to face teaching and distance learning through the university's StudyNet web based facility. StudyNet allows students to access electronic learning resources, electronic discussion with staff and other students, and, for some modules, submit coursework 24/7 from anywhere in the world. With a heavy emphasis on Computer Aided Engineering, the school has a policy of using industrial standard software wherever possible. The school also operate an open access laboratory policy of when possible students doing experiments in their own time.
The BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering course is accredited by RAeS and IMechE as detailed in the programme specification and satisfies, in part, the academic requirements for Chartered Engineer (CEng) registration for the cohort intakes from 2016 up to, and including, 2019. The programme has been recently reviewed and updated by the University as part of its regular periodic review process.
Professional chartered mechanical engineers and mechanical engineering graduates are highly sought after around the world. Our graduates have an excellent employment record illustrating that this degree gives you the flexibility to work in virtually any manufacturing setting, both in the UK and abroad.