Degree Apprenticeship in Digital and Technology Solutions (Cyber Security Analyst)

About the course

Apprenticeship Standard: Digital & Technology Solutions Professional

Final Award: BSc (Hons) Digital & Technology Solutions (Cyber Security Analyst)

The Degree Apprenticeship programme in Digital and Technology Solutions at the University of Hertfordshire leads to a BSc (Honours) in Digital and Technology Solutions. The programme is designed upon the Apprenticeship Standard of reference and is constantly reviewed in consultation with local employers and endorsed by TechSkills so as to meet the Standard and Assessment Plan.

Built with an intent to provide learners with the best of both worlds of rigorous academic studies and sound work-based training proper of industry, the programme consists of “core” content taken by all apprentices, which amounts to approximately 70% of the total, and “specialist” content that amounts to the remaining 30%.

Teaching is delivered by means of dedicated modules and sessions, designed and managed to exploit facilities and opportunities available on campus, online and at learners’ place of work.

As a degree apprenticeship, learners are constantly facilitated and encouraged to successfully obtain the knowledge, skills and behaviours (KSBs) as identified by the standard, to keep a record of their achievements (by means of an e-portfolio and other resources) and to exploit these along the learning journey of studying for an academic award and towards the occupational competency as expected by the Standard, their employer and the market.

In addition to academic development, the programme also recognises the importance of developing students’ professional and civic character, as articulated through the University’s Graduate Attributes and in reference to British Values.

Each learner is enrolled on a course learning to one of three specialist awards. Each of the specialisms is also introduced as part of the core and, if this is considered, the split is nearer to 60% “core” and 40% “specialism”

Cyber Security Analyst

A cyber security analyst is responsible for ensuring that security technologies and practices operate in accordance with the organisation’s policies and standards to provide continued protection. They require a broad understanding of network infrastructure, software and data to identify where threats and hazards can occur. They are responsible for performing periodic vulnerability assessments to evaluate the organisation’s ongoing security posture and respond to security incidents and implement resolution activities across the organisation.

Other specialisms available are:

  • Software Engineer

Why choose this course?

  • The degree apprenticeship programme has been developed to cover topics that aim to not only meet but also exceed the learning outcomes as stated by the Standard and is continuously reviewed with local employers leading its innovation agenda. This is to ensure learners are equipped suitably for exploiting the new opportunities the Digital industry is providing business and society almost daily.
  • After five years of offering this programme, the extent learners are expected to engage with their learning journey has been fine-tuned, without overburdening them and ensuring it remains challenging all at the same time. The programme is highly demanding but is exceptionally rewarding for both learners and employers.
  • This programme comprises a coherent blend of modules specially designed to meet the Apprenticeship Standard. The new digital technology-specific modules have been adapted from existing tried-and-tested degree programmes, and the specialist modules are co-taught with other students. This academically rigorous programme also supports learners and expects them to fully develop both expertise and proficiency and the Graduate's Attributes.
  • This programme delivers a mix of day and block release with work-based learning, designed specifically to meet the needs of apprentices and their employers.


Learners will develop the occupational competency for the role of Cyber Security Analyst. Though this role is quite broad and actual job titles may differ. Because of the core plus specialism model, graduates will be equipped for a broad range of careers in related occupations within the Digital Industries such as the IT industry or within IT departments.

In some cases, typical job titles can be different than the specialism. For example, Cyber security analyst apprentices may go on to take on roles such as IT Manager, Security manager, Database specialist, Data analyst, Digital Media Technology practitioner, Systems designer.