Our continuing professional development for primary includes courses, conferences, projects and networks as well as bespoke provision to suit your school.
Courses that we deliver on behalf of Herts, Essex, Beds and MK Science Learning Partnership, and Saffron Walden County High School computing hub are listed on the STEM Learning website. Links to upcoming courses can be found below.
Sign up to our mailing list to keep updated about opportunities.
Science and STEM CPD
Click on the course title below for more information or to book onto the course.
Primary science subject leader's network meeting - Bishop's Stortford 23 May 2023 16.00 - 17.00 Manor Fields Primary School CM23 4LE Closing the gap in primary science 14 June 2023 14.00 - 16.30 University of
Teaching assistants supporting science in primary school 22 June 2023 13.30 - 15.00 Remote
Upcoming computing courses
Click on the course title for more information or to book onto the course
Develop your understanding of the computing curriculum and examine how to effectively teach the subjects in schools. Find out more on the Teach Computing website.
Subsidies are available to cover course fees and to enable teachers to attend courses. Further information can be found here: Find out about available bursaries.
Physical computing kit - KS3 micro:bit 20 June 2023 16.30 - 18.00 University of
Preparing for Ofsted in primary computing 29 June 2023 16.00 - 17.30 Remote Leading primary computing - module 1 30 June 2023 09.30 - 15.00 University of
Physical computing kit - KS2 Crumble 5 July 2023 16.30 - 18.00 University of
Leading primary computing - module 2 13 July 2023 10.00 - 15.00 Remote
Professional development CPD programme
Course Title Date Time Location Facilitating effective professional development 26 June 2023 10.00 - 15.30 University of Hatfield , AL10 9EU Facilitating with STEM learning 03 July 2023 09.00 - 11.30 Remote Facilitating effective professional development in computing 06 July 2023 12.00 - 14.30 Remote Facilitating effective professional development in science 06 July 2023 09.00 - 11.30 Remote
Read about the exciting projects we can offer
Our curriculum themed CPD projects run over time, usually half a term or a term. A launch day sets the scene and introduces subject, pedagogy and curriculum frameworks. We support you to plan and implement a curriculum project relevant to your classroom and pupils, usually through school visits and networking sessions. A plenary CPD session is a great way to share practice and learning with other participants.
Read about previous projects
Language development through science in early years foundation stage
Bespoke, school specific CPD
Whole school primary science professional development staff meetings
Ideal for running as staff meetings and delivered remotely by one of our expert facilitators. Choose from:
Essential formative assessment in science
- The COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the learning of many children and effective formative assessment is key to knowing where children are in their learning.
Thinking, Doing, Talking science
- Based on the successful EEF funded project, this staff meeting will explore the strategies introduced to schools in Oxfordshire that develop higher order thinking skills and promote learning.
- There are many misconceptions about the teaching of science enquiry (Working scientifically) as specified in the National Curriculum. This staff meeting will examine the requirements of working scientifically and consider the ways this can be embedded in the science subject knowledge strands of the curriculum
£345 + VAT per remotely delivered staff meeting; discounts available if booking more than one.
For further information email firstname.lastname@example.org
We can tailor our CPD to suit a school or group of schools. This might be facilitating one of our advertised courses or curriculum themed CPD projects locally or remotely, or designing a CPD day, series of twilights, staff meetings or a conference to suit local needs. Contact the STEM CPD team to find out more.
Sharing innovative local practice in STEM subjects
Read about examples of innovative practice from our networks. Some have been developed through our CPD projects.
- Woolenwick Infant and Nursery School - celebrating teaching and learning in primary science (PDF - 1.27 Mb)
- William Westley C fo E Primary School - celebrating teaching and learning in primary science (PDF - 0.43 Mb)
- St Nicholas Cof E Primary School and Nursery - celebrating teaching and learning in primary computing (PDF - 0.55 Mb)
- Rob Paice at Round Diamond Primary School - embracing practical science online (PDF - 0.25 Mb)
- RSPB Rye Meads Nature Reserve - dispelling misconceptions and inspiring future scientists with outdoor learning (PDF - 0.52 Mb)
News and opportunities
Free micro:bit teaching resources from Barefoot computing
Barefoot Computing have teamed up with the micro:bit foundation to develop two sequences of lessons, which introduce the micro:bit to primary schools.
Both lessons take computing outdoors, as pupils aged 7 - 9 create ‘Wildlife Animations’ using the micro:bit’s LEDs, and pupils aged 9 - 11 turn their micro:bits into counting devices and go on a ‘Litter Hunt’ around their school.
The resources can be accessed HERE
View our latest computing newsletter