The PhD Programme in Computer Science
Applications are invited from candidates with good first degrees in computer science, electronic engineering, physics, maths, biology, neuroscience or other relevant disciplines to join projects as research students. Projects are available for PhD students (three years full time, six years part time) and for MSc by Research students (one year full time, two years part time).
Projects are available in (but not limited to) the following areas
- Artefact Capture of Online Content for Law Enforcement
- Artificial Intelligence in Games
- Artificial Intelligence in Table Tennis
- Classical and Quantum Based Security, Networks and Distributed Systems
- Cloud Computing and Big Data
- Cognitive Radio Network Technology
- Collaborative Edge Computing
- Computational Frameworks for High-dimensional Neural Data
- Computational Genomics
- Computational Neuroscience
- Concurrency Engineering of Multi-core Applications
- Cyber Security and Privacy in Smart Environments
- Effect of Extracellular Volume on Energy Balance of Neurons
- Embedded Systems and Real-time Computing
- Embodied Emotion, Cognition, and (Inter-)Action in Autonomous and Social Robots
- Evolution of Gene Regulatory Information
- High Speed Networks
- Human Factors in Software Engineering
- Information, Complex Systems and the Organization of Cognition: Principled Approaches Towards Artificial Life, Artificial Intelligence and Robotics
- Intelligent Intruder Detection Systems
- Machine Learning, Decision Making and Stochastic Control
- Modelling Cerebellar Tremor as Feedback Instability
- Network Models, Multimodal Deep Learning, and Complex Systems
- Neural Models for Personalised Rehabilitation
- Neuromorphic Olfaction
- Passive UHF RFID Technology for Reliable Perception in Real World Social Robotics Applications
- Quantum Cyber Security
- Relative Efficiency of Propositional Proof Systems and Reachability Problem of Hybrid Systems
- Robotic Language Acquisition and Dialogue Systems
- Safe and Reliable Programming for Distributed Applications and Cloud Computing
- Safe Interactions Between Humans and Autonomous Vehicles
- Social Credibility of Interactive Robots
- Social Robotics and Robotic Companions
- Smart Adaptive Extrusion Technology for 3D Printing
- Text Mining for Social Networks
- Virtual and Augmented Reality for Education and Training
We recommend that you discuss your proposed research with a member of academic staff at the University of Hertfordshire before submitting your application. Please name this staff member when submitting your application. Applications for projects that are not listed above should include an outline research proposal.
Find out more about our current research in Computer Science at the University and links to individual staff web pages.
For informal enquiries email Professor Volker Steuber.
A limited number of studentships are available for exceptional candidates in particular areas (£15,285 per annum bursary plus the payment of the student fees). Applicants from outside the UK or EU are eligible.
Research in Computer Science at the University of Hertfordshire has been recognised as excellent in the REF 2014, with 50% of the research submitted rated as internationally excellent or world leading.
The University of Hertfordshire provides a very stimulating environment, offering a large number of specialised and interdisciplinary seminars as well as general training and researcher development opportunities. The University is situated in Hatfield, in the green belt just north of London.
How to apply
Download the application form.
Please note: You must download the application form to your computer before you complete it. If you complete the form in the browser window, the information you have entered may be lost when the form is saved.
The application form should be returned to:
Research Student Administrators
Applications should also include two references and transcripts of previous academic degrees. We accept applications for self-funded places throughout the year.
The next short-listing process for studentship applications will begin on 29 January 2021.