Academic Support Unit
Supporting our students to fulfil their potential
We understand that as a university student you may face academic challenges that you need help to overcome. These may include:
- writing assignments using appropriate academic English
- understanding the difference between critique and critical analysis
- generic statistic support for example in using Excel and SPSS
- correctly referencing sources in your assignments
- structuring a dissertation
- knowing how to communicate effectively during oral presentations
- effective revision techniques.
Who can access this support?
Academic support is available to all undergraduate and taught postgraduate students currently registered on a course within the School of Life and Medical Sciences. Please visit our ASU StudyNet site for full details of our support services, a list of our upcoming workshops, calendar of university-wide support sessions and further information.
How does it work?
From September 2020 onwards we have enhanced our provision of remote sessions while continuing to provide ongoing face-to-face support on campus. The aim of this is to ensure that our services suit different student lifestyles, preferences and needs.
With all our services you will receive guidance and instructions prior to the session taking place to ensure you are able to access support safely and securely. Please ensure you read the guidance carefully and get in touch with us in advance if you have any questions or concerns. You can find further information and guidance by accessing our StudyNet site.
How to contact us
You can find us in Room C106, Main Building, College Lane Campus but if you are off-campus you can also contact us in the following ways:
Tel: +44(0)1707 286530 (ext 3530)
I would like to say thank you for your ongoing support throughout my final year. Receiving academic skill support has made a significant difference to my grades and I would like to express my gratitude for this.
The skills I have learnt from ASU sessions have been transferrable as I’ve been able to apply them to other areas of my course. The ASU are positive, friendly and helpful. I am very grateful.
Find out more about One to One Sessions
Our team of dedicated academic support staff offer generic help and advice through one-to-one sessions. We will not be able to read your complete assignment, but we are able to offer targeted advice. We can, for example:
- help you to improve the structure of an individual paragraph
- provide guidance on referencing
- make sense of tutor feedback to improve your future assignments
- give advice on how to critically evaluate a short text
- direct you to further resources to help you with your studies (e.g. other UH workshops and on-line resources).
Please note, we do not proof-read work and you must contact us a minimum of 2 weeks before your submission deadline to discuss specific assessments.
Find out more about our workshops
We provide a variety of sessions within a relaxed and inclusive environment for students from the School of Life and Medical Science to develop confidence in their study skills. Our workshops include the following topics:
- critical analysis
- exam revision techniques
- dissertation support
- presentation skills
- statistics and SPSS
Find out more about our team
The Academic Support Unit is made up of academic members of staff from the School of Life and Medical Sciences. You can find out more about them below.