Academic Support Unit
The LMS Academic Support Unit (ASU)
We understand that as a university student you may face some academic challenges that you need help with. These may include:
- writing assignments using appropriate academic English
- understanding the difference between critique and critical analysis
- correctly referencing sources in your assignments
- structuring a dissertation
- generic statistic support (Excel, SPSS)
- knowing how to communicate effectively during oral presentations
- effective revision techniques
ASU support for current students
Academic Support is available to all undergraduate and taught postgraduate students currently registered on a course within the School of Life and Medical Sciences. Please visit our ASU StudyNet site for full details of our support services, a list of our upcoming workshops, calendar of university-wide support sessions and further information
To help you with these challenges, our team of dedicated academic support staff offer generic help and advice through Academic Support Unit (ASU) one-to-one sessions.
Do I need to book?
Yes, you need to book in to avoid waiting around. We also need an indication of what you would like to discuss, so you can be seen by the most appropriate member of staff.
To book and appointment please email us.
We are located in Room C106, which is located close to Main Reception, College Lane Campus.
What do I need to bring?
Your laptop or tablet, memory stick or a printed copy of the work you would like us to help you with.
Please come with specific questions, for example:
- you don’t understand what you are required to do in an assignment
- you need help with structuring your conclusion
- you have been told that your language needs to be more formal
Please note, we do not proof-read work and you must contact us a minimum of 2 weeks before your submission deadline to discuss specific assessments.
How long can I spend with a tutor?
Each session lasts approximately 30 minutes.
What type of support can I get?
We will not be able to read your complete assignment, but we are able to offer targeted advice. We can, for example:
- Help you to improve the structure of an individual paragraph
- Provide guidance on referencing
- Make sense of tutor feedback to improve your future assignments
- Suggest how to improve your academic writing style
- Give advice on how to critically evaluate a short text
- Direct you to further resources to help you with your studies (e.g. other UH workshops and on-line resources).
We also run a range of tailored workshops for our LMS students to develop confidence in their academic abilities. Find out more about ASU workshops.
About the ASU
The ASU Team is made up of three academic members of staff from the School of Life and Medical Sciences: Dr Danni Pearce, Andrew Smith and Danny Buckley. Find out more information about us below.
Get in touch
Email us including your name and ID number or call us on +44 (0)1707 286530.
We look forward to seeing you at our ASU one-to-one sessions.