School Direct entry requirements
Applicants for School Direct must have the following educational qualifications:
- Honours degree (2.2 or higher), awarded by a UK university or an overseas award recognised as equivalent by NARIC. For secondary trainees we would expect the degree to have a minimum 50% content of the subject in which the applicant is applying. However, applicants whose degree does not meet this requirement should contact us to discuss further at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GCSE Grade 4 or above in English language and mathematics (Grade C or above under the old grading structure).
- Primary trainees must also have either science/biology/chemistry/physics/additional science or applied science GCSE Grade 4 or above (Grade C or above under the old grading structure).
- Original certificates will need to be shown at interview.
- All students from non-majority English speaking countries require proof of English language proficiency, equivalent to an overall IELTS Academic score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in each band (no more than two years’ old).
The City and Guilds Level 2 qualifications in numeracy and English are not deemed as equivalent to GCSE grade 4 or above for entry into initial teacher training.
The University of Hertfordshire does not accept equivalency tests in the place of GCSE qualifications.
If the qualifications have been taken abroad then these need to be verified by NARIC before applying for the programme. Visit NARIC for more information or call +44(0)870 990 4088.
Please send a copy of NARIC and your transcript for the degree or GCSE qualifications to David Ingledew, secondary (email@example.com) or Julia Mackintosh, primary (J.Mackintosh@herts.ac.uk) to be checked before your interview.
For anyone currently working on a first degree it will be necessary to show evidence of the end date and of grades allocated at the time of any interview. Degrees must be successfully completed before starting the programme and any offers of places will be provisional on that outcome.
For applicants applying for School Direct routes, arrangements for interview will be made by the Lead School. Suitability to train to teach is assessed at interview. For further guidance please contact the Lead School.
Replacement to be confirmed.