Sport and physical activity
Staying fit during your time at university actually helps your academic performance by making you happier, healthier and increasing brain activity.
HertSquad is our sport and exercise hub. Meet like-minded people, have fun and keep your body moving. And with our Active Students programme, there is always something to do, for free, no matter your ability.
In my opinion, Active Students is one of the best things about student life here at the University of Hertfordshire. Giving students this amazing opportunity for free is unbelievably thoughtful.
The Hertfordshire Sports Village on the de Havilland campus has some of the best facilities in the UK. It's even used by pro teams as a training base.
The Oval is home to a state-of-the-art 50 station gym, available for use exclusively by University of Hertfordshire students and staff. Located conveniently on College Lane and open 24 hours a day.
So whether you're a serious athlete, a little bit sporty or fancy trying something new, there's something here to keep you fit.
What can I do at the Sports Village?
- Play badminton, basketball and volleyball at the twelve badminton court sports hall, with sprung wooden floor built to Badminton Association of England Performance Centre standards.
- Hone your climbing skills on the twelve-metre climbing wall with a bouldering cave and moveable hand holds for different route settings.
- Swim in the twenty-five-metre, eight-lane swimming pool built to national short course competition standards.
- Play cricket indoors in the four-net, purpose-built cricket hall, which is also used for martial arts, archery and other sports.
- Work out in the one hundred-station fitness centre with its cardio-theatre, aerobics studio and sports injury clinic.
- Enjoy a game of squash at the two squash courts with sprung floors, glass-backed walls and viewing gallery.
- Show off your football or rugby skills on the two floodlit new generation astro turf pitches.
- Play hockey on the floodlit sand-filled astro turf pitch.
- Enjoy outdoor matches on three grass football pitches and one rugby pitch.
The Sports Village is also a home match and training venue for local and professional clubs, so there are plenty of opportunities to watch and play.
Hertfordshire Sports Village extension
There are lots of sporting facilities nearby like golf courses, indoor tennis courts, go-karting, snow-boarding, ten-pin bowling and ice-skating.
There are also a multitude of new cycle lanes in and around the Welwyn and Hatfield area, so get on your bikes and ride!