Student support services

If you need any help with your off-campus accommodation, support is available from the University, Hertfordshire Students’ Union, and other local services.

The University does not offer Family Accommodation, however the PAL Accreditation Scheme is available to student and non-student tenants.

Here are things to consider when searching for private accommodation for your family:

  • Research locations as part of your property search.
  • You may need to research local schools for your children and access to available transport systems (such as buses or trains).
  • Make a realistic budget based on the cost of property in the selected areas (you will need to factor in costs such as council tax and utility bills, on top of your rent). On average, rent for a 2-bed property within Hatfield costs approximately £1,400 a month (utility bills may not be included). Remember to check if properties are furnished or unfurnished. You will also need to ensure you have enough space in the property, to prevent overcrowding.
  • Have your finances in order. Delays in payment can result in another prospective Tenant financially committing before you.
  • Search for the property, book for viewings, and make a quick offer when you see one that you like and can afford. Do not commit to a contract that is above your budget, as this may result in the accumulation of Rent Arrears.
  • Ensure you have the required documents and responses to pass the Right to Rent checks. Your landlord or Letting Agent will confirm what information will be needed.
  • Read your contracts before signing and cross check all features in the house against what was listed in the contract, to ensure it is a true reflection of what was offered to you.