MSc Advanced Social Work Practice
This Master’s degree is designed for social workers who want to advance their professional practice and obtain an academic qualification. The programme is designed to enhance your current knowledge and understanding and give you opportunities to challenge and critically evaluate your professional practice.
The Programme is normally over 6 years. It offers fantastic flexibility in that if your circumstances were to change during your studies, you can choose to study fewer modules, gain less credits, and graduate with a diploma or postgraduate certificate.
The normal entry requirements for the programme are:
- Applicants are registered with Social Work England
- Candidates hold a first degree in Social Work – those who do not have a first degree or equivalent are expected to evidence successful completion of at least 30 credits of Level 6 study.
- Applicants meet any pre-requisites identified in the individual DMDs of each module studied.
- Employed within a Social Work environment with appropriate qualifying experience.
The programme is offered in part-time (normally up to 6 years) mode and leads to the award of a MSc Advanced Social Work Practice.
The award of MSc Advanced Social Work Practice requires 180 credit points, including at least 150 at level 7 and successful completion of:
30 credits from the core modules;
90 credits from either the core or optional modules, accredited short courses from the AMS post graduate framework.
30 credits can come from other relevant HSK modules, short courses or modules from another School and 60 credits from the research modules.
Please see the download to the right hand side of this page for more details of the structure.
Where Will I Study
Most of the taught sessions take place on the College lane Campus and/online. However, some sessions may take place on other University sites.
- Modules are facilitated by a variety of experienced lecturers from the University as well as external expert speakers.
- The mode of delivery varies and in the light of the Covid pandemic, previously taught modules may be delivered by a digitally enabled learning method in reflective and innovative ways to enhance your learning experience.
- You will need to have access to a suitable personal computer and a good reliable Internet connection.
Semester A & B
Mode of delivery
Health & Social Work
The price quoted above is per 15 credits and relates to self-funding students assessed as UK/EU students for fee purposes - some modules within this programme are charged at a premium rate, please see premium fee section opposite. Prices may differ for students that are assessed as Overseas, or for returning students that are on a course leading to an award. Click here for Fees and Funding information or email us. To obtain the PG student loan, you must sign up for the whole programme and not just an individual module.