- Our MSc in Software Engineering is industry-focused, using delivery methods that have been tested throughout our long-term provision of the programme.
- The course focuses on algorithmic solutions, software quality, project management, and successful delivery of software products that are engineered using the most current software engineering methodologies and tools.
- The mode of delivery and assessments is project-based, combining software engineering with AI programming, with every assessment being considered a mini-project and a reflective learning experience, aimed at developing the highest level of problem solving and quality management skills.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The award builds on our extensive experience and long-established reputation in providing industry-based qualifications and skills in relation to software design and development. Software Engineering is the foundations of the functioning modern world. Many aspects of commerce and industry require well-engineered and reliable software to operate. The MSc Software Engineering (Online) is designed for computer science graduates and has been popular with those looking to specialise in Software Engineering and progress their career in this direction.
Why choose this course?
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Software Engineering.
- Advanced topics studied include software engineering models, methods, practice, and experience, AI programming, and responsible technologies.
- Gain an internationally recognised master's degree from the UK's University of Hertfordshire.
- Flexible online learning allows you to fit study around your other commitments, without travel and accommodation costs.
- Taught by a highly regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Benefit from the same academic standards and quality control procedures as our equivalent on campus course.
What will I study?
Our online MSc programmes are taught 100% online through the University’s virtual learning environment, Studynet. Assessment is by coursework and online tests.
You will receive learning materials, take part in discussions and submit your assignments online. Additionally, you will receive study resources such as key e-books and any specialist software. You will have access to the University's extensive online library facilities, or be able to visit in person if you so choose.
The amount of study time required is no different from that needed for an on campus programme. You should expect to spend at least 30 hours per week if studying full-time, and in proportion if part-time.
Our online masters programme is designed to give graduates the up-to-date skills and knowledge sought after by employers, whether in business, industry, government or research.
The MSc Software Engineering course will equip students with the knowledge and practical skills in software engineering project management, from the design and development of quality software through advanced algorithmic solutions, to delivering ethical and responsible software products.
Successful graduates may pursue a career as a software developer and tester, software engineering project manager, software quality manager, and software engineering consultant.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.