MSc Software Engineering (Online)
Why choose Herts?
- Industry Accreditation: Accredited by the British Computer Society (BCS) enabling graduates to register at The Chartered Institute for IT as a Chartered IT Professional.
- Flexible: Study at your own pace during this flexible online only course.
- Employment Prospects: Graduates work as Business Analysts, Consultants, Software Engineers, and Application Developers for organisations including Capgemini, Optoma Technology, and Ocado.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The award builds on our extensive experience and long-established reputation in providing industry-based qualifications and skills in relation to software design and development. Software Engineering is the foundations of the functioning modern world. Many aspects of commerce and industry require well-engineered and reliable software to operate. The MSc Software Engineering (Online) is designed for computer science graduates and has been popular with those looking to specialise in Software Engineering and progress their career in this direction.
Why choose this course?
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Software Engineering.
- Advanced topics studied include software engineering models, methods, practice, and experience, AI programming, and responsible technologies.
- Gain an internationally recognised master's degree from the UK's University of Hertfordshire.
- Flexible online learning allows you to fit study around your other commitments, without travel and accommodation costs.
- Taught by a highly regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Benefit from the same academic standards and quality control procedures as our equivalent on campus course.
What will I study?
Our online MSc programmes are taught 100% online through the University’s virtual learning environment, Studynet. Assessment is by coursework and online tests.
You will receive learning materials, take part in discussions and submit your assignments online. Additionally, you will receive study resources such as key e-books and any specialist software. You will have access to the University's extensive online library facilities, or be able to visit in person if you so choose.
The amount of study time required is no different from that needed for an on campus programme. You should expect to spend at least 30 hours per week if studying full-time, and in proportion if part-time.
|Artificial Intelligence Programming (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Measures and Models for Software Engineering (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Responsible Technology (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Software Engineering Practice (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Software Engineering Masters Project (COM)||60 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Software Engineering (Online)||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular) On-Line/Tutored E-Learning||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.