MSc /PG Diploma / PG Cert Health and Medical Education
Course Leader: Kenneth Spearpoint
Start date: Semester A & B
Mode of delivery: Blended learning
School: Health & Social Work
- A first degree in a related discipline, although applicants with evidence of equivalent professional/academic experience will be considered.
- Normally two years full time (or equivalent) experience within a relevant field of practice.
- Registration with an appropriate professional body.
For more information about entry requirements and transferring existing, related credits to this programme please contact Programme Lead: Ken Spearpoint, Principal Lecturer at email@example.com
For International/Overseas Students, please click on the link below:-
Before applying please contact Ken to discuss a programme of study for each academic year.
This programme has been developed to prepare clinicians and health and care professionals for their role as clinical educators and assessors. It is intended to develop skills in providing education within the working environment. It provides inter-professional working opportunities for the study of key aspects of medical education. It is useful for any medical, health or social care professional with an interest in developing their education knowledge and skills.
Postgraduate Medicine at the University has been highly evaluated for its standard of teaching and student support and students will benefit from using an expanding range of simulation facilities supported by expert academic, clinical and technical staff.
· This programme has been developed in response to an evolving NHS and healthcare climate where clinicians are increasingly providing education and support within the working environment. The programme will equip medical and healthcare practitioners with knowledge and skills for developing outstanding educational expertise.
· You will study and explore aspects of educational theory and practice with particular emphasis on adult, clinical and work based learning. There is also an option to study simulation as an educational tool in our very well equipped clinical simulation centre - one of the largest in Europe.
· This programme provides the opportunity to experience a range of teaching and learning techniques, such as blended learning and psychomotor skills training, and the teaching approaches of a range of very experienced clinical educators.
You may study individual modules to gain academic credits or complete a planned programme of study leading to a Masters (180 credits) an interim award of Postgraduate Diploma in Health and Medical Education (120 credits), or PgCert (60 credits) awards.
Most modules are worth 30 postgraduate credits each. You are allowed 5 years from initial registration to complete your academic award. This programme is offered on a modular basis to fit in with existing commitments.
Modules can also be studied on an individual basis. Some of the modules require minimal attendance, and have a large e-learning component; others require some attendance (typically 4-5 taught days spread out over several months) together with independent study.
This programme provides both optional and compulsory access to related specialist content to broaden student’s educational expertise which is invaluable in today’s competitive workplace and brings a richness to the overall programme from an inter-professional and intra-professional perspective. The modular structure is outlined below.
Depending on the choice of award the programme consists of the following compulsory, specialist and optional modules
PgCert Modules (60 Credits required)
• Health and Medical Education in the Workplace (30 credits) – compulsory - 7LMS0165 (this module will not be available until September 2021)
• Clinical Supervision in Medical Practice (30 credits)
• Evidence Based Practice (30 credits)
Master’s Degree modules (180 Credits required)
• Health and Medical Education in the Workplace (30 credits) – compulsory
• Clinical Supervision in Medical Practice (30 credits) – compulsory
• Evidence-Based Practice (30 credits) – compulsory
• Service Development Project (30 credits) – compulsory
Choose from the following:
• Work Based Learning (30 credits)
• Technology Enhanced Learning (30 credits)
• Health Technology and Innovation (30 credits)
• Leadership in Practice (30 credits)
A variety of teaching methods are used during the programme including seminars, group work, e-learning, and work-based learning. The programme is well supported by expert educationalists; academics with expertise in work based and health based education; doctors and nurses with expertise in competency assessment; and key opinion leaders in the field so that it maintains links with practice and the ability to reflect current trends in educational practice and work based learning.
The course is intensive with a limited amount of classroom-based teaching and requires you to be a self-directed learner and make full use of the e-support provided and of the Virtual Learning Environment - StudyNet.
Our state-of-the-art Learning Resources Centres are open 24/7 to meet your information, computing, study and coursework needs. We receive excellent ratings from current students for our facilities and our virtual learning environment, Studynet.
• A flexible, student centred, modular approach
• A mix of face-to-face and on-line teaching & learning
• Lectures from respected subject specialists
• Modules are clinically relevant
• Clinical educational teaching with a strong emphasis on work-based practice
• Shared, inter-professional learning
• Mix of home & international students provides a global perspective
• Approachable tutors providing a high level of student support
• Educationally relevant assessment strategies
• Two intakes per year: September and January
• Credits may be awarded for prior certificated learning
Fees and Funding
The price quoted above is per 30 credits and relates to self-funding students assessed as UK students for fee purposes Prices may differ for students that are assessed as Overseas, or for returning students that are on a course leading to an award award e.g. MSc as module fees stay the same as they were in your year of entry to the programme. Click here for Fees and Funding information or email us. To obtain a PG student loan, you must sign up for the whole MSc programme and not just an individual module.