- Our MSc in Data Science and Analytics builds on our extensive experience in data science research and KTP projects. The modules are prepared and taught using delivery methods that have been tested throughout our long-term provision of the field.
- The course focuses on the exciting fields of machine learning, designing and developing data mining applications, and studying, understanding, and applying data analytics in big data and cloud computing fields.
- The mode of delivery and assessments is problem solving based, combining real-life scenarios with a reflective learning experience, aimed at developing the highest level of problem solving and data analytic skills.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The MSc in Data Science and Analytics utilises our strong international reputation for research in these areas. The expertise of our staff influences this course which explores current research and practice in data science and analytics, extending your knowledge and understanding of the principles and practice of obtaining data from various sources, the essential methods for pre-processing and cleaning data, data analytics and modelling especially in big data analytics.
Why choose this course?
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Data Science and Analytics.
- Advanced topics studied include mathematics and programming of data science, data mining, machine learning, and big data analytics.
- You will gain an internationally recognised master's degree from the UK's University of Hertfordshire.
- Flexible online learning allows you to fit study around your other commitments, without travel and accommodation costs.
- You will be taught by a highly regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Benefit from the same academic standards and quality control procedures as our equivalent on campus course.
What will I study?
Our online MSc programmes are taught 100% online through the University’s virtual learning environment, Studynet. Assessment is by coursework and online tests.
You will receive learning materials, take part in discussions and submit your assignments online. Additionally, you will receive study resources such as key e-books and any specialist software. You will have access to the University's extensive online library facilities, or be able to visit in person if you so choose.
The amount of study time required is no different from that needed for an on campus programme. You should expect to spend at least 30 hours per week if studying full-time, and in proportion if part-time.
Our online masters programme is designed to give you the up-to-date skills and knowledge sought after by employers, whether in business, industry, government or research.
The MSc Data Science and Analytics course will equip students with the knowledge and practical skills in data science and analytics from the foundations of data science, data mining, machine learning, to big data analytics.
Successful graduates may pursue a career as a data scientist or data engineer, data analytics consultant, digital marketing manager across a wide range of sectors.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.