MSc Cyber Security (Online)
Why choose Herts?
- Our Cybersecurity Centre has developed strong relationship with the industry, and this experience is mirrored in the course provision, teaching the most current and relevant strategies, methods, tactics, and technologies used in the industry.
- The course embeds the requirements and directives from the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) and the Cybersecurity Body of Knowledge (CyBOK).
- The mode of delivery and assessments aim at developing high level of skills in security management and operations, required in career development and progress, from Security Operations Centre (SOC) to Chief Security Officers (CSO).
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The award reflects the most current developments in the cybersecurity field, and it builds on our experience and reputation in providing industry-based qualifications in relation to network and systems security. The course aims to develop employability and research skills in the areas of cybersecurity operations, information security, penetration testing, and responsible technologies.
Why choose this course?
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Cybersecurity.
- Advanced topics studied include information security and compliance, strategies, methods and technologies used in penetration testing, management of cybersecurity centres, and developing and enforcing enterprise security policies.
- You will gain an internationally recognised master's degree from the UK's University of Hertfordshire.
- Flexible online learning allows you to fit study around your other commitments, without travel and accommodation costs.
- You will be taught by a highly regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Benefit from the same academic standards and quality control procedures as our equivalent on campus course.
What will I study?
Our online MSc programmes are taught 100% online through the University’s virtual learning environment, Studynet. Assessment is by coursework and online tests.
You will receive learning materials, take part in discussions and submit your assignments online. Additionally, you will receive study resources such as key e-books and any specialist software. You will have access to the University's extensive online library facilities, or be able to visit in person if you so choose.
The amount of study time required is no different from that needed for an on campus programme. You should expect to spend at least 30 hours per week if studying full-time, and in proportion if part-time.
|Cyber Operations (COM)||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Digital Forensics (COM)||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Distributed Systems Security (COM)||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Information Security Management and Compliance (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Penetration Testing (COM)||15 Credits||Compulsory|
|Responsible Technology (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Cyber Security Masters Project (COM)||60 Credits||Compulsory|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Cyber Security (Online)||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular) On-Line/Tutored E-Learning||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.