- Our Cybersecurity Centre has developed strong relationship with the industry, and this experience is mirrored in the course provision, teaching the most current and relevant strategies, methods, tactics, and technologies used in the industry.
- The course embeds the requirements and directives from the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) and the Cybersecurity Body of Knowledge (CyBOK).
- The mode of delivery and assessments aim at developing high level of skills in security management and operations, required in career development and progress, from Security Operations Centre (SOC) to Chief Security Officers (CSO).
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
The award reflects the most current developments in the cybersecurity field, and it builds on our experience and reputation in providing industry-based qualifications in relation to network and systems security. The course aims to develop employability and research skills in the areas of cybersecurity operations, information security, penetration testing, and responsible technologies.
Why choose this course?
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism in Cybersecurity.
- Advanced topics studied include information security and compliance, strategies, methods and technologies used in penetration testing, management of cybersecurity centres, and developing and enforcing enterprise security policies.
- You will gain an internationally recognised master's degree from the UK's University of Hertfordshire.
- Flexible online learning allows you to fit study around your other commitments, without travel and accommodation costs.
- You will be taught by a highly regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Benefit from the same academic standards and quality control procedures as our equivalent on campus course.
What will I study?
Our online MSc programmes are taught 100% online through the University’s virtual learning environment, Studynet. Assessment is by coursework and online tests.
You will receive learning materials, take part in discussions and submit your assignments online. Additionally, you will receive study resources such as key e-books and any specialist software. You will have access to the University's extensive online library facilities, or be able to visit in person if you so choose.
The amount of study time required is no different from that needed for an on campus programme. You should expect to spend at least 30 hours per week if studying full-time, and in proportion if part-time.
Our online masters programme is designed to give you up-to-date skills and knowledge sought after by employers, whether in business, industry, government or research.
The MSc Cybersecurity course will equip you with the knowledge and practical skills in network and systems security, from the cyber operations at different levels of corporate environment, information security management, penetration testing and ethical hacking, to enterprise security management.
Successful graduates may pursue a career as a penetration tester, information security consultant, different levels of Security Operations Centre (cyber analyst, threat hunter, and centre manager), and chief information security officer (CISO), across a wide range of sectors.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.