MSc Advanced Computer Science (Online)
Why choose Herts?
- Our MSc Advanced Computer Science is industry-focused, using delivery methods that have been tested throughout our long-term provision of the programme, but annually updated to reflect the most current development in advanced computer science field.
- The course focuses on algorithmic solutions, but also allows you to study other core subjects in artificial intelligence, cyber security, data science and analytics or software engineering.
- Our project-based delivery method combines advanced programming models and paradigms aimed at developing the highest level of problem solving and quality management skills in computer science.
Due to the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, examinations may be replaced by an alternative form of assessment during the academic year 2020/2021. Please refer to the Programme Specification on these pages for further details.
About the course
This course will enable you to enhance your career prospects or prepare for a programme of research that requires knowledge of more of the sub-discipline areas. You will have a wide range of taught modules from which to choose and will be expected to complete a major project that extends and applies what you have learnt in one or more of the taught modules they have taken.
Why choose this course?
- One of a range of advanced courses within our postgraduate Master's programme in Computer Science, this particular course provides you with a specialism combining theoretical knowledge and practical skills in advanced computer science.
- This MSc will help you develop skills using and critically evaluating a range of methods and tools currently employed in the specialist topics of computer science to advanced depth.
- Gain an internationally recognised master's degree.
- Flexible online learning allows you to fit study around your other commitments, without travel and accommodation costs.
- Taught by a highly regarded and long-established computer science department.
- Benefit from the same academic standards and quality control procedures as our equivalent on campus course.
What will I study?
Our online MSc programmes are taught 100% online through the University’s virtual learning environment, StudyNet. Assessment is by coursework and online tests.
You will receive learning materials, take part in discussions and submit your assignments online. Additionally, you will receive study resources such as key e-books and any specialist software. You will have access to the University's extensive online library facilities, or be able to visit in person if you so choose.
The amount of study time required is no different from that needed for an on-campus programme. You should expect to spend at least 30 hours per week if studying full-time, and in proportion if part-time.
|Advanced Algorithms and Paradigms (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Responsible Technology (COM)||30 Credits||Compulsory|
|Advanced Computer Science Masters Project (COM)||60 Credits||Compulsory|
|Artificial Intelligence Programming (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
|Big Data Analytics (COM)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Cyber Operations (COM)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Data Mining (COM)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Digital Forensics (COM)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Distributed Systems Security (COM)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Foundations of Data Science (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
|Information Security Management and Compliance (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
|Machine Learning (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
|Measures and Models for Software Engineering (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
|Penetration Testing (COM)||15 Credits||Optional|
|Software Engineering Practice (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
|Theory and Practice of Artificial Intelligence (COM)||30 Credits||Optional|
Further course information
|Course fact sheets|
|MSc Advanced Computer Science (Online)||Download|
|MSc Computer Science (Modular) On-Line/Tutored E-Learning||Download|
Sandwich placement or study abroad year
Applications open to international and EU students
At the University of Hertfordshire, we want to make sure your time studying with us is as stress-free and rewarding as possible. We offer a range of support services including; student wellbeing, academic support, accommodation and childcare to ensure that you make the most of your time at Herts and can focus on studying and having fun.
You can also read our student blogs to find out about life at Herts.
Please note that some of the images and videos on our course pages may have been taken before social distancing rules in the UK came into force.