Facilities at the School of Computer Science
All Computer Science students have access to excellent University and School facilities for classes, self-study and lab work.
All our lecture rooms are equipped with data projectors and other modern AV equipment.
Learning Resource Centres
The Learning Resources Centre (LRC) on the College Lane campus is set over four floors and 11,000 sq m.
- 1,600 study places
- 800 computer workstations
- Wi-Fi access
- a cafe and many other facilities
It is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in term time.
The University's state-of-the-art virtual learning environment, studynet is used extensively on Computer Science courses, enabling you to access all the key teaching and learning material any place and any time.
The School's laboratories are well-equipped with modern hardware and software, which are mostly industry standard.
Our current standard configuration for PCs:
- Intel i7 4 core (8 logical CPUs)
- 8 or 16 GB RAM, 1 GB VRAM
- 500 GB hard disk
- DVD read/write media reader, Firewire
- 24 inch HD or 19 inch LCD display
Computer Science students have access to a number of laboratories, such as:
- specialist labs for networking (including Cisco)
- embedded systems
We are members of the MSDN Academic Alliance giving you access to most MS Developer software, which can also be downloaded to your own PC.
Our full range of professional standard software includes:
- Operating System: Windows® 7 SP1 Enterprise 64-bit (most PCs dual boot Debian Linux 64-bit)
- Languages/Environments: Java, BlueJ, JDK v1.7 /Netbeans v7, C++, ActivePython v2.6, Ruby on Rails 3.2, Visual Studio 2010 Premium
- Multimedia/web: Adobe CS5.5 Master Collection- Dreamweaver, Flash Pro, InDesign, Photoshop; MS Silverlight™, ASP.NET®; PHP v5.3.6; Autodesk
- Database: Oracle® 11g, MySQL, MS SQL, MS Access®
- Productivity: Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus and SP1
Explore some of our other University-wide facilities: