Apply for student finance for 2023/24

About Student Finance England (SFE)

Applications for student finance are made through Student Finance England (SFE) or the relevant awarding body. Whether you're applying for an undergraduate, postgraduate or postgraduate doctoral student loan you’ll need to visit the Government website to apply.

You’ll either be asked to set up a student finance account or log into one (if you have an account with student finance already). Your online account is where you can view your statements and letters, track your application and lots more.

Please note that international students are not eligible for funding from the Student Loans Company.

When can I apply?

Applications for 2023/24 are now open for full-time undergraduate students. New students should apply by 19 May 2023 so funding can be ready for the start of the course and returning students should apply by 23 June 2023 to ensure funding is approved prior to the start of the academic year. Part-time students can apply from June 2023.

If you would like to apply for a postgraduate loan or postgraduate doctoral loan, applications for 2023/2024 will open in May/June 2023.

How to apply

Apply online for an undergraduate student loan

Apply online for a postgraduate student loan

Apply online for a doctoral student loan

If you’ve already taken out a student loan with Student Finance England log into your account to apply for a student loan

Our top five tips:

  1. apply as soon as you can
  2. provide full and complete information on your application form
  3. send all evidence that is requested as soon as possible
  4. be vigilant with your personal data
  5. remember to reapply if you need to. Undergraduate students need to reapply each academic year.

Want to find out more?

If you're interested in studying an undergraduate degree and want to know more please view our student finance resources on our getting ready for university page.

You can also search Ask Herts for fees and funding information.

Any questions?

Please email if you have any queries. For example, if you can’t find your course on the application form or if there are any changes to your course. If you're intending to study an undergraduate degree we may ask for your UCAS ID, so please have it to hand.

You can also call the Student Centre on +44 (0)1707 284800

Find out how to contact Student Finance England