MA Educational Leadership
About the course
The programme supports you in developing your knowledge and understanding of issues and practice through enquiry and research. The programme provides a range of module choices, but you are encouraged to bring your own ideas and focus on your own particular professional interests. This award is gained through taking an educational leadership focus for 50% of the study, including the Dissertation.
This award enables experienced professionals to build upon their interests and experience of educational leadership. Less experienced professionals are supported in developing their knowledge of issues relating to educational leadership.
Applicants must have substantial experience of practice in educational settings. Less experienced applicants must have an education qualification.
The MA Educational Leadership is offered as part of a suite of awards available through the MA Education Framework.
This programme is offered on a 1 year full-time basis, and part-time study for 2 or 3 years.
Why choose this course?
The MA Educational Leadership award is designed for professionals who want to enhance their careers through exploring the leadership of learning in their own context. We will encourage students to challenge traditional notions of 'leaders' and 'leadership' and explore relational, collaborative and democratic leadership models.
Through this programme you will:
- Develop and deepen your knowledge and understanding of issues relating to education practice through critical reflection, analysis and enquiry
- Develop your ability to critically analyse educational theory and how it links to practice
- Become a member of a supportive learning community and learn from professionals from a range of educational settings
- Become a successful practitioner researcher
What will I study?
Taught sessions are built around discussion, discovery, shared learning and peer review with tutor support and expertise immediately at hand. All modules are constructed so that the focus of the work should be upon your individual interests and professional requirements.
- For each 30 credit module, attendance at between 7/8 twilight sessions per module
- A significant amount of private study and reading
- Independent research
- An assignment of 4,500 words or equivalent for 30 credit modules
- A final 60 credit module over a year with a 12,000 word assignment
- Full access to the University’s Learning Resource Centre (LRC) and virtual learning environment
What job can I get?
The programme aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and creative capacity to respond to a variety of leadership challenges faced in contemporary organisations. Studying Educational Leadership has helped graduates to build deeper awareness and confidence within practice dilemmas and to secure promotion with current employers or to take on new leadership roles in new contexts. The programme also enables students to progress on to doctoral study.