Students from other SCONUL Access member institutions
Applying for SCONUL member access at the University of Hertfordshire
You must reapply for library access if your approval has expired
- if you are applying to visit the University of Hertfordshire please wait until you have received your Herts ID card from us as you will need this to enter the library
- all information about applying for the Access Scheme is available on the SCONUL website
- your own institution’s library is the body responsible for considering and processing your application. Please be patient and allow them time to deal with your application
- please check the website in detail for information about the Scheme
- before you contact your library
- before you contact a library you wish to visit or before contacting SCONUL.
Please remember access granted under the Scheme is a privilege and not a right.
Allow time for your application to be processed
- how long your application takes depends on how many applications your institution receives
- do not pressure library staff at your home institution - it will not speed up your application
- do not call the library you wish to visit or the SCONUL office about your application - it will not speed up the process.
General advice: Check on the day you would like to visit whether the institution you would like to visit is participating and their opening times
- this allows for any sudden changes to pandemic-related restrictions.
- check online
- see our University of Hertfordshire Learning Resources Opening hours information for current opening times and service updates.
Prior access does not mean current access
- you are not guaranteed access to an institution because you previously used it
- check SCONUL access before you visit
What is the SCONUL Access scheme?
The SCONUL Access scheme is open to staff, research students, postgraduate and part-time undergraduate students, distance learning and placement students who are studying at member institutions, and allows borrowing arrangements to be set up on a reciprocal basis.
There are different levels of access, referred to as bands. Not all institutions accept applications from all bands, so please check the SCONUL website for further details and SCONUL FAQs.
I’m a full-time undergraduate - can I apply?
SCONUL access provides a reference-only service for most full-time undergraduate students (band R).
- if you are band R you will not be eligible for membership at the University of Hertfordshire and there is no need to complete our application form
- you do not receive borrowing rights or membership from the University of Hertfordshire but are welcomed as a day visitor.
See our Learning Resources Opening hours information for current opening times and service updates.
How do I apply for SCONUL Access to the University of Hertfordshire Learning Resources Centres?
If you wish to apply for borrowing privileges at the University of Hertfordshire under this scheme, then please:
- Obtain a SCONUL Access scheme email from your own institution. To apply go to the SCONUL website and select SCONUL Access.
- Download and complete the SCONUL application form for University of Hertfordshire access (PDF - 0.88 Mb).
- Take a passport-style photograph of yourself.
- Email the above three items of documentation to our Membership team (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Please note that we are no longer processing paper applications.
- Applications made during September and October or December and January may be delayed due to staff prioritising new student registration.
- The University will post your University of Hertfordshire ID/Library card to you. Please allow up to 14 days for receipt.
You must keep your ID/Library card with you at all times when visiting the University of Hertfordshire. You will need this to access our two LRCs and for self-issuing books.
The University of Hertfordshire Learning Resources Centres (LRCs) offer the following to SCONUL members:
- a range of study spaces on a first-come-first-served basis
- 24/7 access to both of our LRCs (check our opening hours for any changes)
- power sockets for plugging in your own device
- access The Cloud wi-fi or connect to eduroam wi-fi, if provided by your home institution.
Borrowing rights for SCONUL members at the University of Hertfordshire
- borrow up to five items at any one time
- loan periods are for 14 days with two automatic renewals if the item is not requested by another borrower
- we will contact you by email if your item has been requested by another user and needs to be returned or if your item becomes overdue
- we will give you five days’ notice if a book you have on loan needs to be returned, but you will not be expected to return it before your current loan period expires
- access your personal Library Account (we’ll send further details by email once we approve your application)
- you can also reserve items and use our ‘request a scan’ service.
We are unable to offer the following services to SCONUL members at this time:
- use of our LRC print, copy, scan devices. Please note that we have a Document Services team at College Lane Campus who provide a range of reprographic services to staff, students, and the public
- access to LRC PCs or laptop loans
- access to University of Hertfordshire digital resources
- inter Library Loans.