Students from other SCONUL Access member institutions
Applying for SCONUL member access at the University of Hertfordshire
You must reapply for library access if your approval has expired
- if you are applying to visit the University of Hertfordshire please wait until you have received your Herts ID card from us as you will need this to enter the library
- all information about applying for the Access Scheme is available on the SCONUL website
- your own institution’s library is the body responsible for considering and processing your application. Please be patient and allow them time to deal with your application
- please check the website in detail for information about the Scheme
- before you contact your library
- before you contact a library you wish to visit or before contacting SCONUL.
Please remember access granted under the Scheme is a privilege and not a right.
Allow time for your application to be processed
- how long your application takes depends on how many applications your institution receives
- do not pressure library staff at your home institution - it will not speed up your application
- do not call the library you wish to visit or the SCONUL office about your application - it will not speed up the process.
General advice: Check on the day you would like to visit whether the institution you would like to visit is participating and their opening times
- this allows for any sudden changes to pandemic-related restrictions.
- check online
- see our University of Hertfordshire Learning Resources Opening hours information for current opening times and service updates.
Prior access does not mean current access
- you are not guaranteed access to an institution because you previously used it
- check SCONUL access before you visit
What is the SCONUL Access scheme?
The SCONUL Access scheme is open to staff, research students, postgraduate and part-time undergraduate students, distance learning and placement students who are studying at member institutions, and allows borrowing arrangements to be set up on a reciprocal basis.
I’m a full-time undergraduate - can I apply?
SCONUL access provides a reference-only service for most full-time undergraduate students (band R).
- if you are band R you will not be eligible for membership at the University of Hertfordshire and there is no need to complete our application form
- you do not receive borrowing rights or membership from the University of Hertfordshire but are welcomed as a day visitor.
See our Learning Resources Opening hours information for current opening times and service updates.
How do I apply for SCONUL Access to the University of Hertfordshire Learning Resources Centres?
If you wish to apply for borrowing privileges at the University of Hertfordshire under this scheme, then please:
- Obtain a SCONUL Access scheme email from your own institution. To apply go to the SCONUL website and select SCONUL Access.
- Download and complete the SCONUL application form for University of Hertfordshire access (PDF - 0.88 Mb).
- Take a passport-style photograph of yourself.
- Email the above three items of documentation to our Membership team (email@example.com)
Please note that we are no longer processing paper applications.
- Applications made during September and October or December and January may be delayed due to staff prioritising new student registration.
- The University will post your University of Hertfordshire ID/Library card to you. Please allow up to 14 days for receipt.
You must keep your ID/Library card with you at all times when visiting the University of Hertfordshire. You will need this to access our two LRCs and for self-issuing books.
The University of Hertfordshire Learning Resources Centres (LRCs) offer the following to SCONUL members:
- a range of study spaces on a first-come-first-served basis
- 24/7 access to both of our LRCs (check our opening hours for any changes)
- power sockets for plugging in your own device
- access The Cloud wi-fi or connect to eduroam wi-fi, if provided by your home institution.
Borrowing rights for SCONUL members at the University of Hertfordshire
- borrow up to five items at any one time
- loan periods are for 14 days with two automatic renewals if the item is not requested by another borrower
- we will contact you by email if your item has been requested by another user and needs to be returned or if your item becomes overdue
- we will give you five days’ notice if a book you have on loan needs to be returned, but you will not be expected to return it before your current loan period expires
- access your personal Library Account (we’ll send further details by email once we approve your application)
- you can also reserve items and use our ‘request a scan’ service.
We are unable to offer the following services to SCONUL members at this time:
- use of our LRC print, copy, scan devices. Please note that we have a Document Services team at College Lane Campus who provide a range of reprographic services to staff, students, and the public
- access to LRC PCs or laptop loans
- access to University of Hertfordshire digital resources
- inter Library Loans.